2006 GMC Sierra Temp Concerns

Hello everyone,

I am in need of some help, to hopefully minimize my repair bill. I have a 2006 GMC Sierra Crew, with 4.8L v8, auto trans, 2 wheel drive. This morning I noticed that my temp was reading around 205-210 only a few minutes after I stared the truck. The weather here is low 70's, so no real hot or cold temps to deal with. I thought it was mighty quick, so I checked the coolant and noticed that there was only a small amount in the reservoir. I drove onto work, around 12miles and when I came out this afternoon, the reservoir was up around the "Fill here when cold" line. I came on home and ran around town a little, after sitting a while at home (approx. 2-3hrs) the temp went right back up to around 210 and I watched the fluid in the reservoir drain out as the motor ran. Water pump was replaced approximately 50,000 miles ago, could this be a water pump issue or possibly a thermostat? Any ideas on where I should start trouble shooting? Any and all suggestions are appreciated. The closest dealer to me is about 60 miles, so I would like to somewhat narrow down if possible. Thanks.

JD

Archived