Wheel Bearing Replacement. Learn how to diagnose and replace the wheel bearing hub assembly on almost any truck or car. This is a 2004 Chevy Silverado, GMC Sierra but the process will be very similar for replacing any wheel bearing hub assembly with an axle running through it. I was able to purchase a new hub assembly from AutoZone for $120. Duralast Wheel Bearing/Hub Assembly-Frnt. We will provide a review of the wheel hub assembly after testing it for some time before recommending you to purchase it. Other wheel hub assembly companies: Moog, NAPA, Driveworks, Timken. Here is the Wheel Hub Assembly that I used: https://www.autozone.com/suspension-s... Similar Wheel hub assembly products available on RockAuto: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/c...

Required Tools

• 15mm Wrench

• 18mm Socket

• 22mm Socket

• 35mm Socket

• Lug Wrench

• A Piece of Pipe (for leverage)

• Ratchet

• Torque Wrench

• Hammer

• Chisel

• Jack Stands

Edited by The.Sundae.Drive

• 2 months later...

I hope this is the right place to post this, if not please forgive me.

I am having to replace a front wheel bearing assembly on my 2004 Chev. Silverado. It is a 5.3 Vortex 1500 with 4 W/D.

I have seen videos of this process and still find it impossible to separate the split housing. I have broken two chisels and beat this thing half to death with no success.

I am hoping that someone here has a remedy. I just don't know what else I could do do to separate the housing and remove the bearing assembly. Is there something I am missing? The videos made it look so easy and I am mechanically inclined, but this has me stumped.

Edited by Jim Foley

On 5/18/2018 at 9:10 PM, Jim Foley said:

I hope this is the right place to post this, if not please forgive me.

I am having to replace a front wheel bearing assembly on my 2004 Chev. Silverado. It is a 5.3 Vortex 1500 with 4 W/D.

I have seen videos of this process and still find it impossible to separate the split housing. I have broken two chisels and beat this thing half to death with no success.

I am hoping that someone here has a remedy. I just don't know what else I could do do to separate the housing and remove the bearing assembly. Is there something I am missing? The videos made it look so easy and I am mechanically inclined, but this has me stumped.

That sounds really frustrating. It is always something stupid like this that makes the simplest jobs take for ever. You could try putting a bolt in the hole and screw it in just a little then hit the bolt with a hammer to separate the hub from the flange. You could also use an air hammer. In both cases, use lots of heat. if you are still having trouble feel free to shoot us a DM. Best of luck!

Thanks Sundae. I tried that and it didn't work. I don't have access to an air hammer. I went to the video that was suggested by another member that suggested using the power steering and a socket and extension. That didn't work either, it just bent the extension. But I couldn't find anything  to brace the extension against to make a straight push, so it bent.

I saw another video I am going to try, seems simple. Pound out the stud for a lug nut. Insert a half inch bolt and nut, back off the nut and it should push on the lug nut flange and separate the hub.

I'll post of it works.

Edited by Jim Foley

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2018 at 10:33 AM, Jim Foley said:

Thanks Sundae. I tried that and it didn't work. I don't have access to an air hammer. I went to the video that was suggested by another member that suggested using the power steering and a socket and extension. That didn't work either, it just bent the extension. But I couldn't find anything  to brace the extension against to make a straight push, so it bent.

I saw another video I am going to try, seems simple. Pound out the stud for a lug nut. Insert a half inch bolt and nut, back off the nut and it should push on the lug nut flange and separate the hub.

I'll post of it works.

That sounds like a huge pain. That stinks you are having so many problems. Any luck with the technique you mentioned above?

Yes Sundae, it worked like a charm, came right off. This method puts an incredible outward pressure on the assembly. Thee were two methods of doing this; one was to pound out four lug nut studs and replace them  with four bolts and nuts. I didn't use that one because I found another method that only required pounding out one stud and inserting one bolt and nut. That was the one that worked.

• 2 months later...
On 6/6/2018 at 12:41 PM, Jim Foley said:

Yes Sundae, it worked like a charm, came right off. This method puts an incredible outward pressure on the assembly. Thee were two methods of doing this; one was to pound out four lug nut studs and replace them  with four bolts and nuts. I didn't use that one because I found another method that only required pounding out one stud and inserting one bolt and nut. That was the one that worked.

Awesome! glad it worked for you.