Tail light stay illuminated, Driver side only

Jrich4523

Question

My 2008 NNBS CC LT1 has a ghost i swear. As my title states... only the driver side brake light stays illuminated non stop. ive changed every bulb with the factory required part. It still continues to "hyperflash" even though there is not one LED light on the truck. I cannot find a short anywhere. Im not saying my checks have been perfect but i cant figure it out. Fuses all look good. Replaced parts: Rear Junction Box, All Bulbs, Left & Right Tail light harnesses.  A previous owner has had an aftermarket remote start installed, idk if it was professional or not, could that have anything to do with it? Im at a total loss.... any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

4 answers to this question

So you're saying the left rear turn signal blinks fast, and then stays lit bright on the brake light filament when it's not activated? Is it both bulbs at the same time, or one of the upper or lower bulbs on the left side?

First place I'd be looking is where the remote start tied in with the lights. Usually they flash the lights to indicate the remote start is in use, and then activate the parking lamps when the engine is running. If I were a betting man, my money would be on that tie-in. Probably didn't use anything waterproof to connect the wires. Seen it plenty of times before.

Also, grounding issues can cause all kinds of strange light activation. Make sure all the bulbs have a solid path to ground.

The two most common sources of issues involving lights and signals are light bulbs and bad connections/grounds. 

Bad grounds can create some truly remarkable light shows when "feedback" steps in.  Things like dash lights flashing with signals, or just behaving like brake lights when you brake. 

"Hyperflash" will occur if one bulb is burnt out.  That was always the way drivers knew their signals weren't all working.  Some vehicles would stop flashing if a bulb was burnt out. 

It really sounds like you have a socket issue on the left rear light housing.  Isn't there also a printed circuit board inside the housing on these trucks? I am not sure if they are the same or not, but if they are, try swapping the housings side to side to just see if the issue moves to the right side.  I know the housings will not physically fit, I am just suggesting you plug them in to see what happens. 

• Like 1

After further looks (many, many, further looks) i noticed the reverse light socket, the middle bulb, looked like it had been molded odly/manufactuer defect. i simply replaced the wire loom again and boom.... fixed tail light....