Power steering motor going out

Bobbie

Question

Have a 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 with electric power steering I replaced motor and after every time I hit pothole the power assist would go out till I let it sit for 10 min then come back. But now was going down interstate and it went out and didn't even hit pothole. If the belt inside the steering rack is bad would that cause this?.also is there any fluid in rack. 

4 answers to this question

There was a recall on the power steering that was supposed to fix the power assist going out.  Did your truck already have this recall done? 

I am pretty sure I saw a site a while ago that dealt in selling the OEM power steering racks.  They said something about GM were buying the racks from them, and they were selling to the public.  I remember thinking that it was odd that GM would have not locked them out of undercutting GM parts outlets. They were selling complete rebuilt racks for under $800.  I can't seem to locate the link or company name right now. 

https://www.trucks.com/2017/08/07/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-recalls/ is the link I found regarding the recall, really sounds like what you are reporting.  If your truck was not included in the recall originally, perhaps their window of effected dates are off by a couple of days.  Take a look at your build date on drivers door sticker