35" Tires "load range" and "Service Description" for 3500HD

Hey all, i'm hoping someone can shed some light into load ranges for me. I'll also provide some background info into my particular situation which has me stumped. 

I have a 2017 Silverado 3500HD Gas

Suspension MAXX Level (turned up for a total of 2") so there's still about a 1" rake 

Front differential has been dropped

bumper has been shimmed out 5/8"

will run stock wheels (18's)

I pull a 29' snowmobile trailer at least 20 times in the winter, and several times in the summer

I would like to upgrade to a gooseneck snowmobile trailer at some point (roughly 6100 lbs empty) plus 5-6 sleds (roughly another 3,000 lbs) for a total around 10,000 lbs

I will be running Cooper AT3 XLT's, but i'm going back and fourth on 295/70/18's and 35x12.5's. Both have a E load range, which is a 10ply tire. 

The 35's have a service description of 123 (or 3417 lbs). The 295/70/18's are 126 (3748 lbs). 

So... If i'm interpreting this all correctly, the tires are made exactly the same, but the 295's will have a high load capacity?  Is this difference make or break with a heavy truck and trailer? What would you do? I've done enough research to know both size's will fit fine without any issues.

I want it to look good, but also function well for what I use it for. Any input is appreciated. 

Chart from Cooper Tires below. Thank you!

CooperTiresChart.PNG

IMG_0554.jpg

Personally for me I would go for the 295 as it has the higher rating. (im guessing its also less expensive while also looking good still)

2 of the 35's gives you 6800 lbs of total tire capacity on your rear axle. With a 10,000 lb trailer, depending on how its loaded, should have between 1500 and 3000 lbs on the tongue. 

2 of the 295's give you 7500 lbs of capacity on the tires.

Im guessing both of the numbers are above your RGVW anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nater2004 said:

Hey all, i'm hoping someone can shed some light into load ranges for me. I'll also provide some background info into my particular situation which has me stumped. 

I have a 2017 Silverado 3500HD Gas

Suspension MAXX Level (turned up for a total of 2") so there's still about a 1" rake 

Front differential has been dropped

bumper has been shimmed out 5/8"

will run stock wheels (18's)

I pull a 29' snowmobile trailer at least 20 times in the winter, and several times in the summer

I would like to upgrade to a gooseneck snowmobile trailer at some point (roughly 6100 lbs empty) plus 5-6 sleds (roughly another 3,000 lbs) for a total around 10,000 lbs

I will be running Cooper AT3 XLT's, but i'm going back and fourth on 295/70/18's and 35x12.5's. Both have a E load range, which is a 10ply tire. 

The 35's have a service description of 123 (or 3417 lbs). The 295/70/18's are 126 (3748 lbs). 

So... If i'm interpreting this all correctly, the tires are made exactly the same, but the 295's will have a high load capacity?  Is this difference make or break with a heavy truck and trailer? What would you do? I've done enough research to know both size's will fit fine without any issues.

I want it to look good, but also function well for what I use it for. Any input is appreciated. 

Chart from Cooper Tires below. Thank you!

All you need to do is be at or above your load rating for the factory tire.  Anything less is not recommended.  So if you are on stock wheels still, the stock Michelin LT265/70R18 are a 124 load index.  You will want the same or higher to maintain your payload rating for the truck.  So LT295/70R18 would be the correct choice in your situation.    

Edited by newdude
  • Like 2