2015 Chevy Silverado LT 5.3L 2WD Bump in rear during acceleration from stop

Hey guys, new to the forums here. Finally had to reach out after being confused for a while.

Have had a weird issue going on lately with my truck. Or at least just started noticing it. 

During acceleration from a stop, either from a typical stop light, or perhaps stop sign, I am getting a pop or bump in the back under the truck. Almost feels as if I have left something in the bed and it slid and hit the tailgate. Or perhaps a spare tire that was loose that swung and hit the bumper. It has been baffling me for a while now. I've tried slow accelerated starts which seem to not be as persistent. Perhaps 25-50% of the time. But if I hit it slightly harder it's more pronounced and happens about 95% of the time. I've tried to see if I feel it in reverse too, but it just doesn't seem to replicate as easily in that fashion. But, I'd go out on a hunch and say that I've felt it a couple times while accelerating backwards into my upward facing driveway. 

The truck in question is a 2015 Chevy Silverado LT 2WD 5.3L with 88.5k on the dash. Has never towed anything besides a uhaul trailer for moving years ago. So far this truck has been amazing without any major issues. Fingers Crossed.

Last transmission flush was done about 12k ago. But I really don't think that is the problem as it shifts and moves into reverse and other gears smoothly. Is there anything that would be causing this particular issue? Being that it is a 2WD, I don't have a transfer case I do not believe, where splines could be an issue. Is this something that U-Joints could create? Truck is in stock condition and nothing has been altered or changed. 

I appreciate everyone's response in advance, as there are far better folks out here whom will be able to assist in this than I will ever be qualified for. 

On 12/2/2020 at 10:34 AM, IIIEXOCETIII said:

Hey guys, new to the forums here. Finally had to reach out after being confused for a while.

Have had a weird issue going on lately with my truck. Or at least just started noticing it. 

During acceleration from a stop, either from a typical stop light, or perhaps stop sign, I am getting a pop or bump in the back under the truck. Almost feels as if I have left something in the bed and it slid and hit the tailgate. Or perhaps a spare tire that was loose that swung and hit the bumper. It has been baffling me for a while now. I've tried slow accelerated starts which seem to not be as persistent. Perhaps 25-50% of the time. But if I hit it slightly harder it's more pronounced and happens about 95% of the time. I've tried to see if I feel it in reverse too, but it just doesn't seem to replicate as easily in that fashion. But, I'd go out on a hunch and say that I've felt it a couple times while accelerating backwards into my upward facing driveway. 

The truck in question is a 2015 Chevy Silverado LT 2WD 5.3L with 88.5k on the dash. Has never towed anything besides a uhaul trailer for moving years ago. So far this truck has been amazing without any major issues. Fingers Crossed.

Last transmission flush was done about 12k ago. But I really don't think that is the problem as it shifts and moves into reverse and other gears smoothly. Is there anything that would be causing this particular issue? Being that it is a 2WD, I don't have a transfer case I do not believe, where splines could be an issue. Is this something that U-Joints could create? Truck is in stock condition and nothing has been altered or changed. 

I appreciate everyone's response in advance, as there are far better folks out here whom will be able to assist in this than I will ever be qualified for. 

Let's get this post going.

Info about the truck, is it a crew, double, or single cab?

No transfer case in 2WD, so you can cross that off of your list. Have you checked to make sure your leaf springs and shocks are tight, no loose bolts?

Edited by JimCost2014

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2020 at 11:59 PM, JimCost2014 said:

Let's get this post going.

Info about the truck, is it a crew, double, or single cab?

No transfer case in 2WD, so you can cross that off of your list. Have you checked to make sure your leaf springs and shocks are tight, no loose bolts?

Jim,

Thank you for the response, I apologize for the lack of information. In this case it is going to be a I want to say double cab. As crew is full size doors on the rear and I only have the half. 

Great news on the Xfer case. I have not checked the leaf springs oddly enough, but do have the dreaded pop in the rear due to the "Leaf Springs" shifting from my understanding?. Basically hitting a speedbump makes a little pop on one side or the other. I will check leaf springs this weekend just to ensure that that isn't the case, but being somewhat of a novice with "Car Diagnostics" I guess I was unaware that this could be potentially causing that type of feeling from within the cab. Where is the best place to check the shock bolts? Under the hood of the truck I presume, left and right side? 

Assuming they are all tight and snug, would anything else possibly be the culprit in this scenario? 

Thanks a ton for you response on this. It really is appreciated. 

22 hours ago, IIIEXOCETIII said:

Jim,

Thank you for the response, I apologize for the lack of information. In this case it is going to be a I want to say double cab. As crew is full size doors on the rear and I only have the half. 

Great news on the Xfer case. I have not checked the leaf springs oddly enough, but do have the dreaded pop in the rear due to the "Leaf Springs" shifting from my understanding?. Basically hitting a speedbump makes a little pop on one side or the other. I will check leaf springs this weekend just to ensure that that isn't the case, but being somewhat of a novice with "Car Diagnostics" I guess I was unaware that this could be potentially causing that type of feeling from within the cab. Where is the best place to check the shock bolts? Under the hood of the truck I presume, left and right side? 

Assuming they are all tight and snug, would anything else possibly be the culprit in this scenario? 

Thanks a ton for you response on this. It really is appreciated. 

You are very welcome.

I was referring to the rear shocks since you said that is where the noise is coming from.

Could always take it to a dealer and have them retorque everything to factory specs.