Changeover to Amsoil

While out looking for a new metal catch pan (Dad crushed our old one), I found out that a small parts store here in town stocks all kinds of Amsoil products.  With it so close by, I'm thinking about changing my transmission, transfer case, and differentials over to synthetics.

My question is, about how much ATF and gear lube should this take?  I know I need 5 quarts for the transmission, but not sure how much for the others.  Also wondering if anybody knows about what these products run price wise?  Thanks in advance.

Amsoil gear lube and tranny fluid usually runs about ?.00 - ?.00 a quart.  As far as capacities, the dealer should have a book to look up that data for you.

Dan

Go to a shop that can flush out the  entire tranmission system, torque converter also. It will not do much good to run synthetic tranny fluid if you cannot get all the old stuff out. I wish they would put drain plugs back in torque converters

What jeff means is a drain plug in the torque converter itself.  I beleive about half to two thirds of the fluid in the transmission is in the torque converter.  GM used to put a drain plug on the torque converter that could be accessed by removing the small cover on the lower front of the tranny.  Makes it kind of tough for the home-mechanich to fully change fluid without the drain plug.  But a drain plug in the pan isn't a bad idea either, makes future fluid changes much easier, although that would only be a partial change.

Jeff

I understand what Jeff meant, and like I said, I wish GM would start putting a drain plug in both the converter and the pan.  Then a guy could drain the pan in about 1 minute with little mess and then drain the converter to get most of the fluid out.

Archived