I need to put a new exhaust (well, mufflers and over-the-axle pipes) on my truck, becuase the mufflers are leaking pretty bad and it sounds like an airy fart instead of a 350 w/ a 4bbl.    I do NOT want to put glasspacks on there becuase they are way too raspy at WOT, but they are cheap and easy, so I havn't completely ruled them out.   What I'm really thinking is Flowmaster 40 series....  They're relatively inexpensive and will probably have a great sound without the glasspack rasp.  IMO, Flowmasters "signature tone" on V6 F-bodies sound like aboslute ass, but on V8's they sound rather nice

What is your guys' opinions?

Thanks

-Mike

Quote: from MountaineerTom 99Z71 on 12:09 pm on June 15, 2001

I have a 40 series on my '99 with dual pipes routed out the rear.  It's rumblely and a little loud, but not that popping and cracking, obnoxious kind of loud.  I'm really happy with it.

Sweet.... i figured the 40 series would suit me well....  I hate how glasspacks sound, so by reading around Flowmaster's website I found that it would probably be best suited for what I'm looking for... which is basicly what you described.

Question for you though.... what did that system cost, and where did you buy it from?  I'll need 2 mufflers, and then a shop to bend the tail pipes and weld it all together....  

And since I'm doing all this exhaust work, I'm tempted to just shell out the extra $$$ (If the mufflers aren't too much) and slap some ceramic coated headers and run new 2.5" on each side back to the FM40's.

Thanks again

-Mike

I replaced everything behind the converter, which was only 1 muffler.  I also had 2 18 or so inch chrome tips put on.  I had everything done at a local muffler shop (inculing buying the muffler) and it cost me ?.00.  That was by far the best price I could find around here.  The next closest was around ?.00.

Here's a pic.

exhaust3.jpg

Torque Junkie,

You can get a set of DynoMax CeramCoat headers for a little over ? from Summit Racing Equipment (mail order).  I have them on my '76 Suburban, they fit great, seal great, look great, and sound great.  I went with a 2.5" system from the headers back, with DynoMax Super Turbo mufflers.  They aren't raspy at all, and are fairly quiet inside the truck, but when you get on the gas it sounds great!  Also has a good low rumble at idle outside the truck...

The headers were ? for my big block, exhaust was ? including the mufflers and an h-pipe.  I think the Flowmasters will be a little more, but you are right that they sound good.  I wanted mine to be a little bit quiet since it's a daily driver and we take it on road trips.

I guarantee that you will see a noticeable improvement in power and throttle response if you add the headers.

Jeff

Quote: from Stepside Z on 8:43 am on June 16, 2001

Tom,

Did you notice any power increase after the duels were installed?

John

John,

I really didn't notice any.  There may have been a little, but nothing that really grabbed my attention.  It's not a true dual set up.  It has two pipes coming out of one muffler.

Archived