Adding trans. temp gauge.

I was poking through JP Customs today, and they offer instrument panel clusters with the GM trans temp gauge built in for ~$300. I noticed the following text:

FOR 1500 SERIES, adding the transmission temperature gauge is a BONUS. Temperature gauge will start working perfectly once installed. All sensors are pre-installed from the factory.

Is it possible to just purchase the GM trans. temp gauge and just stick it into my existing cluster? The truck is an '04 Silv. 1500 5.3 (4L60-E) reg. cab base model. If not, could I get an aftermarket gauge that would read the existing sensor?

This is the page I was looking at:

JP Customs

Thanks,

Tom

I was poking through JP Customs today, and they offer instrument panel clusters with the GM trans temp gauge built in for ~$300. I noticed the following text:

FOR 1500 SERIES, adding the transmission temperature gauge is a BONUS. Temperature gauge will start working perfectly once installed. All sensors are pre-installed from the factory.

Is it possible to just purchase the GM trans. temp gauge and just stick it into my existing cluster? The truck is an '04 Silv. 1500 5.3 (4L60-E) reg. cab base model. If not, could I get an aftermarket gauge that would read the existing sensor?

This is the page I was looking at:

JP Customs

Thanks,

Tom

Don't know if you can add a guage using the existing wiring, but you can add an SS cluster and have it work, that's what I did.

US Speedo does sell a kit to add the trans temp gauge to the existing cluster...but a) you need to do some soldering, b) there apparently is some programming to do before the gauge will work. Do a search on "temp gauge"...there has been a lot of discussion about this. According to US Speedo, they now have to program your cluster...or send you a pre-programmed board to install in your cluster. I just bought a complete cluster from them, and it cost me $200 total ($300 up front, and I got $100 back when I sent them my cluster as a core). Good luck...

I checked with US Speedo and they do not offer the add-on anymore.  You have to buy a new cluster.

I was wondering why I couldn't find it with any of their dealers, despite it being shown on their website.. thanks for the heads up though.

You might want to check if there are fittings on the 4L60E for the trans temp gauge to connect to because I think the Trans temp gauge is only offered on trucks with the 4L80E and Allison transmissions. :thumbs:

I checked with US Speedo and they do not offer the add-on anymore.  You have to buy a new cluster.

I was wondering why I couldn't find it with any of their dealers, despite it being shown on their website.. thanks for the heads up though.

You might want to check if there are fittings on the 4L60E for the trans temp gauge to connect to because I think the Trans temp gauge is only offered on trucks with the 4L80E and Allison transmissions. :thumbs:

Well, the JP Customs website says that the gauge will work straight away on a 1500, and there certainly aren't any 1500's with 4L80Es.. not from the factory, anyway.

The cluster is plug and play. The temp sender is already there. :thumbs:

If that is the case then where on the tranny is the temp sender?

I can't answer that either.... but it is there, **somewhere**. As soon as a new instrument cluster is plugged in, the transmission temp gauge is alive. The **somewhere** is another story, but the transmission gauge in the replacement cluster is just a mere plug 'n play. I've done it on two trucks: my '03 and '05 Silverado.

You might want to check if there are fittings on the 4L60E for the trans temp gauge to connect to because I think the Trans temp gauge is only offered on trucks with the 4L80E and Allison transmissions. :smash:

Well, the JP Customs website says that the gauge will work straight away on a 1500, and there certainly aren't any 1500's with 4L80Es.. not from the factory, anyway.

The tranny has to have a temp sender somewhere to get the fluid reading and if they don't put trans temp gauges in trucks without the 4L80E or Allison transmission then why would they put a temp sensor in a 4L60E when it will not be used. Unless there is a provision in the 4L60E for a temp sensor the gauge will not read the trans fluid temp. Even if the cluster is "Plug & Play" there still has to be a sensor in the tranny to send the signal to the gauge. :thumbs::smash:

You might want to check if there are fittings on the 4L60E for the trans temp gauge to connect to because I think the Trans temp gauge is only offered on trucks with the 4L80E and Allison transmissions. :smash:

I read that as well, Their website says "Temperature gauge will start working perfectly once installed". I read that as once you have the connections to the cluster the trans temp gauge will work, not once you put the cluster in the temp gauge will work. It wouldn't hurt to call them and have them clarify that statement and ask what has to be done to get the gauge working properly. The tranny has to have a temp sender somewhere to get the fluid reading and if they don't put trans temp gauges in trucks without the 4L80E or Allison transmission then why would they put a temp sensor in a 4L60E when it will not be used. Unless there is a provision in the 4L60E for a temp sensor the gauge will not read the trans fluid temp. Even if the cluster is "Plug & Play" there still has to be a sensor in the tranny to send the signal to the gauge. :thumbs::smash:

The new body style trucks all have temp sensors for the PCM. The 3/4 ton up trucks have a gauge that takes advantage of that fact. The 1500s do not. All you have to do is plug the cluster with the guage in and it works.

I read that as well, Their website says "Temperature gauge will start working perfectly once installed". I read that as once you have the connections to the cluster the trans temp gauge will work, not once you put the cluster in the temp gauge will work. It wouldn't hurt to call them and have them clarify that statement and ask what has to be done to get the gauge working properly. The tranny has to have a temp sender somewhere to get the fluid reading and if they don't put trans temp gauges in trucks without the 4L80E or Allison transmission then why would they put a temp sensor in a 4L60E when it will not be used. Unless there is a provision in the 4L60E for a temp sensor the gauge will not read the trans fluid temp. Even if the cluster is "Plug & Play" there still has to be a sensor in the tranny to send the signal to the gauge. :smash::smash:

The new body style trucks all have temp sensors for the PCM. The 3/4 ton up trucks have a gauge that takes advantage of that fact. The 1500s do not. All you have to do is plug the cluster with the guage in and it works.

Well, you learn something new every day, but I still find it strange that GM does not offer the option if the provision for the gauge is already there. Typical :thumbs:

The cluster is plug and play. The temp sender is already there. :thumbs:

If that is the case then where on the tranny is the temp sender?

on the 4L60E

the TFT (tranny fluid temp sensor) is part of the TFP (tranny fluid pressure) switch

it's location is on the under side of the valve body. remove the pan, remove the filter and the TFP / TFT is bolted to the valve body rectangular shape with approx 5 bolts holding it in place

On my '01 yukon all I had to do was purchase a '01 cluster from a 2500 series truck. It's plug & play as someone else stated (all of the wiring is in place and all 4L60E's come with the TFT in place and ready to go.

I bought a NEW cluster from GM parts direct for around $ 115.00 plus they hit you for about $ 30.00 in handling & freight (almost 2 years ago) current cost unknown. GM part # 15059383 was the part for my '01

I have seen several 2500 series clusters for sale on e-bay ranging in cost from $ 50.00 - $ 75.00 since I purchased mine.

you need to make sure you have the correct year cluster for your truck (example is that a '01 will not work on a '04 / '05 and there are other years also) .

I went the plug & play route less chances for a screw up & it looks factoryt stock.

Archived