Cold Start & TAC

I have an '88 Chev. Silverado 350 TBI,  The problem is when it's cold and I go to start it for the first time of the day it cranks for about 5 seconds then catches and stalls right away.  Usually the second time it will stay running, sometimes I have to hold the gas a little and then once it starts I can let it go.  Other than that the ruck runs excellent.  The other thing I noticed is that the thermostatic air cleaner always stays in the closed position only alowing air to enter from the exhaust manifold.  This is true even after driving for 30 mins.  Is this normal when it's -10 degrees Celcius outside??

any advice would be greatly appreaciated..

thks

Check the fuel filter and the pressure regulater and the egr valve.   If this truck is an every day driver, then it should fire right away...  There is something causing the lack of fuel to the head...  I've read your other posts in other forums before and I think it must be a fuel related problem.  How is the fuel milage??? OK??? and does the tail pipe look normal??? 

My buddy had a problem with his 4.3L and it ended up being an egr and a pcv valve.  Are there any codes in the computer???

It's always had the 4-5 seconds crank time on the initial start since I bought the truck about 8 months ago.  I didn't have the start and stall problem t'ill it started getting colder out.  I had the fuel filter changed about 5 months ago so I know that it's good.  The egr was cleaned last week when I had the intake manifold and cam replaced.  about two weeks ago I had it at my buddy's shop and he took the regulator off of another throttle body he had kicking around and still didn't make a difference.  You would think if i turned the ignition on and off a couple times before I start it that it would fire right up but it doesn't.  What about the return line to the tank could it have some kind of blockage?? or would this cause normal operation problems as well?  I just hate to go and have the fuel pump replaced and find out it's not the problem.

NEW UPDATE:  I tried pouring a little fuel in the intake and then starting the truck for the virst time of the day.  It started instantly and stalled.  Then I cranked it for about 4-5 seconds and it started again (same as what it usually does).  the next day I took the breather off and watched the injectors as a friend cranked it over.  as soon as he started cranking there was fuel coming out of the injectors.  it still took the 4-5 seconds to catch.  today I tried jumping a wire from 12 volts to the connector (g) on the aldl which is the fuel pump.  I let the pump run like this for about 10 seconds and then left it connected as I tried to start it.   well same thing again 5 seconds before it caught.

I am still wondering if it's the fuel pump not providing enough fuel.

What kind of shape is the cap and rotor in??? Maybe it is collecting a tiny bit of moisture inside as the temp. in the engine compartment falls as things cool off.   Spray it with WD 40 on the outside of it to try and keep any moisture from it.  You might not be getting a hot enough spark also.  You are getting fuel so that is good, but it isn't igniting for some reason, and that is bad...

Does the truck turn over quickly?  I've had problems with bikes in the past, where they would turn over slower (because of a weak battery) and it was difficult to get them to fire and run right until the alternator made up what the battery was lacking.

Archived