2002 Z71 Front axle bearing bad, HELP

2002 GMC Z71PU with 52k miles. Finally determined why my front axle was making a loud whinning noise while 4WD is engaged. Just started to act up thios winter. 4WD otherwise works fine.

The half shaft on the drivers side axle flange had quite a lot of slop. It appear to be the outer carrier bearing. Half shaft looks fine.

Couple of questions.

1) Local ring and pinion shop wants $550 to remove and put all new bearings in it and flush the differential and reinstall it. Is this a fair price?

I am capable of doing this myself. Looks fairly easy to drop the front axle.

2) Is there a good manual to guide me through rebuilding this front diff?

Thanks,

LA

2002 GMC Z71PU with 52k miles.  Finally determined why my front axle was making a loud whinning noise while 4WD is engaged. Just started to act up thios winter.  4WD otherwise works fine.

The half shaft on the drivers side axle flange had quite a lot of slop.  It appear to be the outer carrier bearing. Half shaft looks fine.

Couple of questions. 

1) Local ring and pinion shop wants $550 to remove and put all new bearings in it and flush the differential and reinstall it.  Is this a fair price?

I am capable of doing this myself. Looks fairly easy to drop the front axle.

2)  Is there a good manual to guide me through rebuilding this front diff?

Thanks,

LA

Hey LA, how loud are we talking here? I notice a bit of extra noise in 4hi, pretty quite though...can you hear this with windows rolled up? Did you notice any extra noise before you noticed the new noise? Is it really noticable? I know there have been recent posts on the forum about noise in 4Hi...all of us seem to hear a slight hum or growl in 4Hi...I have ran mine past a few dealers with all saying the same thing, all do it, normal. They said if it was bad YOU WOULD KNOW...cause it would be quite a bit louder than normal... I even took a new one 05 model...same noise. Anyway let us know, the general obervations are that there is more noise (growl, brakes-metal, howl etc...people have many names for the same noise I think :mad: ) when in 4Hi, and less noise in Auto...Is your noise different than what the rest of us hear, louder etc...? Let us know, thanks, later, :D:flag::devil:

If you decide to rebuilt it, I can sell you my spare front differential for $550. It would be easier to replace the hole thing than to take it apart to rebuilt.

I swamped my front diff. which has a 3.73 gear for a 4.88 gear differential.

It is a compleat unit, it only has 36000 miles on it.

Let me know if you are interested.

Bio,

The hum is pretty loud. You can hear with windows down or up.

Not a vibe just a gear whine or hum. It is not normal because my 02 Z71Tahoe is whisper quiet compared to this.

I found a used front diff for $450 with 3000 miles on it at the local GM scrap yard ith a 12 month 12K mile warranty?

Might jump on that.

Bio,

The hum is pretty loud.  You can hear with windows down or up.

Not a vibe just a gear whine or hum.  It is not normal because my 02 Z71Tahoe is whisper quiet compared to this.

I found a used front diff for $450 with 3000 miles on it at the local GM scrap yard ith a 12 month 12K mile warranty?

Might jump on that.

OK, I know a lot of us hear a growl or something? but I guess yours is different and louder. You are hearing something different than what me and others have observed...But as far as not hearing it in your Tahoe...that is common also. It seems that most hear it in the truck but not the tahoe...or blazer...not sure why, must be the insulation or position of the components...anyway must be pretty loud to hear it with the windows down? Most say they (you have read the recent posts I would guess) can hear theirs a bit with everything off and the windows up...I think that is normal. Thanks for the clairification let us know what you end up doing and what the final diagnosis is after you get everything done, later, :mad::flag::devil:

Archived