2003 1500 DIC vs 2005 2500HD DIC?

Hello.

I have a 2003 1500 Silverado with the DIC controls on the steering wheel.

My brother just bought a 2005 2500 HD Silverado with the same DIC controls.

When going through all the options his does not show Personal and Business stats such as fuel mileage, average speed, etc. I'm not even sure if it has the Timer. I just see Trip A and Trip B.

Did they remove these stats in versions newer than 03? Or is just because it's an HD and they don't want you to see the actual mileage? :seeya:

Also I guess power camper mirrors don't have a curb assist in the Personalization settings?

Just curious..

-- Jason

Hello.

When going through all the options his does not show Personal and Business stats such as fuel mileage, average speed, etc. I'm not even sure if it has the Timer. I just see Trip A and Trip B.

Did they remove these stats in versions newer than 03? Or is just because it's an HD and they don't want you to see the actual mileage? :seeya:

Also I guess power camper mirrors don't have a curb assist in the Personalization settings?

Just curious..

-- Jason

My 05 1500HD has all your features (mine are non camper mirrors)

My buddy has an 03. In 05, they eliminated the Business section entirely which had two trips, an Average mpg section, Instant mpg and I think an additional timer. Had all the same settings for Personal section. The 05 now only has Trip A, B, a timer and one Average mpg. No Instant mpg which sucks as you lose your per tank or overall trip reading if you reset to get a current Instant reading. I'm looking into a new gauge cluster to get a tranny temp gauge. Anyone know if an 03 gauge cluster will work on an 05?

...Anyone know if an 03 gauge cluster will work on an 05?

Works on mine with ALL the '03 options. I did such a swap and I get everything. Now that is for MY truck, this phase of the moon, here in my part of Texas. In other words, I can't guarantee that the '03 cluster you purchase will give you the options on your '05.

My buddy has an 03. In 05, they eliminated the Business section entirely which had two trips, an Average mpg section, Instant mpg and I think an additional timer. Had all the same settings for Personal section. The 05 now only has Trip A, B, a timer and one Average mpg. No Instant mpg which sucks as you lose your per tank or overall trip reading if you reset to get a current Instant reading. I'm looking into a new gauge cluster to get a tranny temp gauge. Anyone know if an 03 gauge cluster will work on an 05?

I'm positive my brothers has the Instant reading. Compared to Personal/Business or Trip A/B Avg MPG would make more sense. Instant is just like looking at a digital vacuum gauge. Down hill I get 99 MPG! :seeya:

So it looks we have conflicting posts. I can't imagine why they would take features away, especially considering the Avg MPG in my truck is almost dead on. (My wife's old Grand Prix would usually be ~1 MPG off.)

Maybe it's just a 1500 vs 2500 thing..

-- Jason

Hello.

Just curious..

-- Jason

I heard, in 05, they did away with the driver 1 and driver 2 presets so radio etc is always the same no matter what driver. Is this true or not?

I'm positive my brothers has the Instant reading. Compared to Personal/Business or Trip A/B Avg MPG would make more sense. Instant is just like looking at a digital vacuum gauge. Down hill I get 99 MPG! :seeya:

So it looks we have conflicting posts. I can't imagine why they would take features away, especially considering the Avg MPG in my truck is almost dead on. (My wife's old Grand Prix would usually be ~1 MPG off.)

Maybe it's just a 1500 vs 2500 thing..

-- Jason

I stand corrected, mine does have A/B, Timer, avg MPG, Range & gallons used, but NOT 2 sets of them for personal/biz or different drivers, no I dont have that.

:chevy:

...Anyone know if an 03 gauge cluster will work on an 05?

Works on mine with ALL the '03 options. I did such a swap and I get everything. Now that is for MY truck, this phase of the moon, here in my part of Texas. In other words, I can't guarantee that the '03 cluster you purchase will give you the options on your '05.

What cluster did you put in Irymal?

I was looking through some other posts

I test drove a 1500 crew cab z71 and the DIC

didnt have the "instant" economy.  It did give all

the averages and such but my 2004 2500 had

an instant mileage.  Is it there and I missed it

or did "they" remove it???

Get a 2003 or 2004 cluster and you'll get it back. YUP, they did remove it. Strange.... Also, no DRIVER 1 or DRIVER 2 in the '05 cluster, or at least that is how it is in my original '05 cluster.

I guess the cluster then has the firmware. Thats really interesting..

I'd be interesting in trying to putting the 03 in the 05 and vice versa. My luck the clusters will try to sync up to the VIN number (like the radios do), leaving both clusters messed up. I wonder if a Tech II tool could be used to reprogram the firmware in the cluster to a corresponding year.

On a side note, it would be interesting to see if the transmission temp gauge from the 2500 HD would work on my 1500 without adding any additional sensors.

True. Those camper mirrors are kind of a sweet and sour deal. It's great that you can extend them remotely but you give up the curb assist, "Closer than they appear" on the passenger side and they don't fold up remotely/electrically. Not what I'd expect from a something like $200 option.

I have an 04 2500 Yukon XL SLT with the DIC and it has the business, personal, etc, etc. I think the only thing it's missing is the curb assist deal.

True. Those camper mirrors are kind of a sweet and sour deal. It's great that you can extend them remotely but you give up the curb assist, "Closer than they appear" on the passenger side and they don't fold up remotely/electrically. Not what I'd expect from a something like $200 option.

I have an 04 2500 Yukon XL SLT with the DIC and it has the business, personal, etc, etc. I think the only thing it's missing is the curb assist deal.

Like others have mentioned, an '03 (or even an '04) will work in an '05; however, the possibility exists that you might lose the tire pressure sensor message on the '03 DIC. The '04 DIC has TPS but it doesn't distinguish as to exactly which tire is low on air, and of course the '05 DIC will tell you exactly which tire is low. Now I don't know for a fact if it's the DIC that contains the display messages for the TPS, or if it's the TPS receiving unit that does it, but if it's the former, then it's definitely something to consider for you '05 folks who are looking to replace it w/ an '03 or '04.

Of course, if your '05 doesn't even have the TPS sensor option (I think it is standard on all '05 GM NBS FS trucks and SUVs), then all of the above is moot.

Archived