Squeaking Serpentine Belt

I'm hoping that someone out there has had some experience with this problem. I have an 01 Tahoe 5.3 and the serpentine belt chirps, squeaks all the time. I have replaced the belt with 3-different sizes of belts, with little difference. I even took it to the local dealership and they replaced it with a GM belt that was quiet for about 5000 miles. Now it is making noise too! I tried belt dressing, that just made it worse, i have even tried the soap trick, and that lasts about 5 minutes. The alternator is new, the tensioner is reasonably new....... HELP!!! :D

Thanks!

I'm hoping that someone out there has had some experience with this problem.  I have an 01 Tahoe 5.3 and the serpentine belt chirps, squeaks all the time.  I have replaced the belt with 3-different sizes of belts, with little difference.  I even took it to the local dealership and they replaced it with a GM belt that was quiet for about 5000 miles.  Now it is making noise too!  I tried belt dressing, that just made it worse, i have even tried the soap trick, and that lasts about 5 minutes.  The alternator is new, the tensioner is reasonably new.......  HELP!!!  :D

Thanks!

Try a Dayco or Goodyear belt.

Mine was squeaking and chirping like mad today. I thought it was the water pump. My buddy who owns a garage said just start the engine and hold a fine wire brush on the moving belt for a 20-30 seconds on the ribbed side. I did it and it is silent. He said since my belt is over 5 years old the sound will probably come back in a couple of weeks but until I get around to buying a new one at least it is quiet.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem with my 2002 GMC Yukon XL 8.1L. It started when the vehicle had probably 3k miles on it. Since then, under warranty, the belt has been replaced about four times, the tensioner at least twice, the alternator pulley twice, the power steering pulley once, and I don't recall how many adjustments it has been through. It is back in at the dealer again today because the last time they 'fixed' it yesterday, it got much worse and sounds like an entire flock of hungry birds under the hood. I hope they find the problem or I get a chance to look at it and find the problem. I read elsewhere about a tensioner that was going bad, but it seems that if that were the case, it would have gone within the 3 years and 35k miles this has been going on.

I'll let you know if they find anything. Please do the same if you find something that solves it for more than a short time.

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem with my 2002 GMC Yukon XL 8.1L. It started when the vehicle had probably 3k miles on it. Since then, under warranty, the belt has been replaced about four times, the tensioner at least twice, the alternator pulley twice, the power steering pulley once, and I don't recall how many adjustments it has been through. It is back in at the dealer again today because the last time they 'fixed' it yesterday, it got much worse and sounds like an entire flock of hungry birds under the hood. I hope they find the problem or I get a chance to look at it and find the problem. I read elsewhere about a tensioner that was going bad, but it seems that if that were the case, it would have gone within the 3 years and 35k miles this has been going on.

I'll let you know if they find anything. Please do the same if you find something that solves it for more than a short time.

OUR 94 SUBURB HAS A BAD SQUEAK, AND WE CURED IT BY REPLACING THE BELT WITH THE PROPER SIZE BELT.IT SEEMS THERE IS A DIFFERENCE IN BELT SIZES WHEN THE ENGINE IS EQUIpPED WITH AN 105 AMP, OR 140 AMP ALTENATOR. I PRESUME THAT THE PULLEY SIZES ARE DIFFERENT

I had belt chirp issues several times. My problems started after careful/mild engine washes.

What works for me is to spray WD-40 or even BETTER: Motorcycle chaingrease!!! through the a small gap INTO the tentioner so that it can reach the tentioner spring. That produces INSTANT results. Motorcycle chainlube INSTANT and LASTING results.

Just look at the tentioner and you'll see what I mean.

Once it is quiet do't wash your engine any more.

Also one time as I changed the coolant and coolant hit the belt the belt so noisy that nothing helped and I had to replace it. Once replaced it was quiet.

Archived