Programmers...

Looking into a programmer for the 04 GMC Crew 5.3. Which one is your favorite? Hypertech, Superchips, Predator? I heard if I buy one off someone, it probably won't work because it "marries" itself with the first vehicle it's plugged into-can any of you shed some light on that?

I cannot speak for the Programmers for gas GM engines, but I had one (Hypertech) on my Ford 7.3L diesel and there were no problems whatsoever when I took it out of my truck and sold it to a friend of mine. It worked just like it did for him the day I bought it.

you can do a search here and find more info on computer tuning than probably any other topic in this forum. everyone has their own opinion here. that being said....

i have the superchips tuner and it works well for what i need. not the sop difference that you might feel with a custom tune but it drives much better than stock. i can tell the biggest difference when i put it back to stock and drive around, you really miss the firmer shifts and power. i run the 93 tune....no pinging, the only bad part is the fill-up...$57 yesterday! it's eay to use and gives me all the options i need. so if you just want some general tweeking options, mild performance gains and be able to change things at the drop of a hat, go with a handheld. but if you want the most performance gains and flexibility of tuning options, go with a custone tune.

I cannot speak for the Programmers for gas GM engines, but I had one (Hypertech) on my Ford 7.3L diesel and there were no problems whatsoever when I took it out of my truck and sold it to a friend of mine.  It worked just like it did for him the day I bought it.

Just make sure you download the program back to your handheld before you sell it to someone else or they get buppkis, squat, nada, nothing, zip....... :)

Archived