High Engine Idle

Here is the deal. Over in the HD forum there has been mention of a high idle, for cold starts, on the DMax. You can find it in the DIC or (non-equipped models) by turning the key to run, pressing the accelerator once, and then pressing the brake pedal 3 times, all within 5 seconds. The outside temp must be below 32* and the coolant temp must be below 150*. I own an 03. Do I have this option, there is not a menu on the DIC for it? Is this new for 05? It gets dang cold up here in the winter (well below freezing). This would help me out, as my truck will not heat up enough to blow warm air via the heater until you get out and drive for about 5 minutes, regardless of how long you warm it up. Oh yeah, I always run the cold weather blankets on the grill and bumper too.

The only Duramax engines that have high idle installed as a factory option are the LLY's (2004.5 and newer). It is a cold weather only high idle feature. With your LB7, you can install a high idle that can be activated any time the truck is in park (maybe neutral too, haven't checked that). A buddy and I installed the kit on our 2001's and it works very well for warm-ups and keeping oil pressure up when idling for a few minutes. I'll PM you with more info.

The only Duramax engines that have high idle installed as a factory option are the LLY's (2004.5 and newer).  It is a cold weather only high idle feature.  With your LB7, you can install a high idle that can be activated any time the truck is in park (maybe neutral too, haven't checked that).  A buddy and I installed the kit on our 2001's and it works very well for warm-ups and keeping oil pressure up when idling for a few minutes.  I'll PM you with more info.

Thanks for the PM Bluenote. I am going to get one for sure.

• 6 months later...

www.gmdieseltech.com sells a high idle kit for the LB7's. 10 dollars or so...you just plug the pin into your ECM connector and then splice into the brake light switch. Its controlled thru the cruise control. Lots of good info on the high idle mod on the Diesel Place www.dieselplace.com

--Ben

www.gmdieseltech.com sells a high idle kit for the LB7's. 10 dollars or so...you just plug the pin into your ECM connector and then splice into the brake light switch. Its controlled thru the cruise control. Lots of good info on the high idle mod on the Diesel Place www.dieselplace.com

--Ben

Completed it about a month ago, thanks though. I went the route of bluenote and spliced it into a wire on the brake pedal that is only hot when in Park and the brake pedal is not applied. Works like a charm. By the way, I followed the directions I printed off of the dieselplace.com line by line, there are some little tricks that save time. I would not want to tear into the ECM harness without actually knowing how to undo all of the little plastic clips. Took about 45 minutes from start to finish.

Archived