07 Diesel Truck

Hi all,

This is my first post to the forum although I keep visiting it off and on. Just curious if anyone had heard anything on the 07 product. I hear a lot about big changes in emissions standards causing the Big 3 to make changes in their engines.

Thanks!

I don't know anything bout that, but a couple of my friends keep saying GM is going to start using Catipillar diesels in their trucks. My god, if they do....looks like everyone who said GM is behind the curve on diesels will eat their words! The day I can get a 2500HD 4x4 ECSB or ECLB with a Cat and an Allison..man i'm gonna be broke :D

Kevin :cheers:

GM did try the Cat motor before the Dmax. It was way too heavy and bulky to fit in a pickup. Cat makes good equipment, but not for any performance.

bigben, welcome!

It is a bit early for '07. There are some changes coming for '06 and they are showing up lately on the net. I'm sure you are on the right track about emissions though.

I did verify NaviStar is making major improvements to the Ford PowerChoke. The StuperDutys are slated for a COMPLETE redesign for the '07 model year. Engine improvements are an increase from 6.0-6.4 Liters. A new Fuel Rail System. They are dropping the LARGE, Variable Vane Turbo Charger for Twin, smaller non-variable vane, turbo chargers. The increase in size is to meet mew federal emmissions standards for diesels and the twin turbos are being used at very low boost levels to reduce engine noise, increase low end boost response and reduce the higher engine cost due to the large variable vane turbo. Stock Power levels are supposed to stay the same. I assume the Duramax will find similar changes.

I wasn't aware GM was looking at Cat. I doubt GM would drop the Duramax since GM bought it from Isuzu. However, I did learn Ford is considering Cat and John Deer for 4 or 6 cylinder diesels for their F-150.

Thanks for sharing the info vhato! Thanks roofer! Anyone know anymore on what else is changing on the engines on the emissions side of things for 2007. Thinking of buying a diesel around that time frame. Last thing I want to do is pay a premium when the emissions changes take place. I am sure its not going to come without a price to us!

Anyone from EPA out there?

• 5 weeks later...

Seeing as how GM owns the Duramax plant, I seriously doubt a CAT is coming.

However, for '07, the new federal requirements on diesel fuel will become effective(unless big petro can pay off the politicians again). These regulations require a low sulfur content in all road diesel. The manufacturers have said once that happens, there will be more diesel options across many of their vehicle lines. They are also saying major improvements to emissions, etc... after the federal fuel stds. are officially adopted.

• 3 weeks later...

I read on a link from GMInsideNews that the only diesels that have gotten approval to meet EPA standards in '07 was one from DC, Toyota, GM, and Volvo (not sure about Volvo, but something like that). I'll look for the link. AutoWeek or something like that. Chris

• 6 months later...

ok for one thing i am talking about big trucks here right now but cat is in a bind cause there acert tech they came out with sucks they are ditching it. cummins right now has the power. new 07 emis standers are coming out and cat is running aroud trying to figer it out. so you guys that say other wise open mouth insert foot!!!

• 1 month later...
Seeing as how GM owns the Duramax plant, I seriously doubt a CAT is coming. 

However, for '07, the new federal requirements on diesel fuel will become effective(unless big petro can pay off the politicians again).  These regulations require a low sulfur content in all road diesel.  The manufacturers have said once that happens, there will be more diesel options across many of their vehicle lines.  They are also saying major improvements to emissions, etc... after the federal fuel stds. are officially adopted.

I would not think so closed minded, Ford owns Cummins and they do not use them. My two pennies

KO

As far as I know, Ford doesn't own Cummins. They barely got a hold of Navistar...hehe

My understanding was that Furd had a small amount of stock with Cummins years ago, and now has nothing with them.

I'm sure someone will elaborate with some more in depth info on this.

I've heard rumors that ford would start using the cummins and dodge would start using a cat. Though that looks pretty doubtful if fords coming out with a new powerjoke design. I am pretty excited that there might be diesels availabe in half ton trucks in the near future.

I've heard rumors that ford would start using the cummins and dodge would start using a cat. Though that looks pretty doubtful if fords coming out with a new powerjoke design. I am pretty excited that there might be diesels availabe in half ton trucks in the near future.

ok for all you guys that dont belive me or what not. ford does own cummins and dodge will not put a cat in the there pickup because they own detriot and m-beinz. and my sources for this one is i know the head forman of interstate detriot diesel and greater planes cummins, and i am a diesel tech! right know i am geting cummins certified so i am prity sure that i am right.

ok for all you guys that dont belive me or what not. ford does own cummins and dodge will not put a cat in the there pickup because they own detriot and m-beinz. and my sources for this one is i know the head forman of interstate detriot diesel and greater planes cummins, and i am a diesel tech! right know i am geting cummins certified so i am prity sure that i am right.

Ford never owned Cummins. They owned a small share back in the 80's. They now have no money or control of any part of Cummins.

Dodge is not dumping Cummins. Starting next year they will be putting in the new 6.7 Cummins. And striaght from Cummins "The "base" 6.7L will be rated at 325hp - 750lb-ft of torque. The middle of the road engine is 330-1000 and the top dog is 365-1250. All are 6.7 liter engines"

Archived