2WD Lift done...Help?

:D I got a 99 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab (new body). ..Just got a 3" Per. As. lift on it. Looks nice. I currently have 255/70/R16. Problem is...every tire fitment guide I find is for a 4x4. The place I got it done estimates I could pt 285/75/r16. Then...I called 4wheelparts.com and they said the same...another person said 265/75/r16 for my 2WD truck and possibly 285's if I had 4x4. The last person I checked with said 285's would fit fine with a little trimming of the bumper plastic. Anyone have experience with this stuff? Also, is there anyway I can Balance the front up some to level it up by coil springs/shocks....in which it will be able to run 285's no problem? Any Idea's or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. MY tires now are getting low tread and need to get some new ones soon! :thumbs:

There are more experienced guys on this forum, but my guess is this:

If you've got a 3-inch lift, you'll have no problem with 285's, even if you started out at 2WD.

Good luck,

Jon

p.s. why did you post this in the 'for sale/wanted' section??????

If all you have is a 3" lift, you will only be able to fit 265s. I put a 3" spindle lift on my 2000 2wd and tried to put 285s on it. They didn't fit, I had to take them off and put 265s on. I later added the upper control arms and bigger springs for another 3" lift and then I was able to run 285s. Here is a pic of my 2000 2wd with 265s.

DCP00593.jpg

here it is with the 6" lift and 285s

P6070010.jpg

:D

I DID A 3 INCH LIFT ON MINE AND HAD NO TROUBLE FITING 285/75/16 (32.8 X 11.2) AFTER THAT I ORDERED FROM 4WHEELPARTS.COM THE 16X8 AMER RACE TEFLONS WHEELS AND 305/70/16 (32.8 X 12.0)BF GOODWRENCH MUD, WHICH I DONT HAVE ANY RUBBING AT ALL

I WOULD POST PIC BUT I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW

So...haha It looks like I'm getting the same responces as I keep getting from everyone else. From one person, he said he was only able to run 265's and not 285's until he did other modifications which I can totaly see....and another person said he was able to fit the 285's with not problem...which I hopeI can do. Thanks for your replies. If anyone else has any idea with tires. Please let me know. Thanks! :D

I see that too now :thumbs:

With as bad as mine hit when trying to put 285s on, I don't know how anyone could do it. The only thing I can think of is that maybe doing the spring/control arm lift will give you a little more "lift" than the spindle change (which I did first). Ohter than that I have no clue how anyone could fit a 285 on a 2wd with a 3" because as you can see in my first picture with a 3" and 265s there isn't a buch of room in the fender.

Good luck, and post pictures whichever you get.

You can always do what I ended up doing. Go to a shop and tell them you prefer the 285 but don't know if it will fit. Have them mount them up and see how they are, if they don't fit take them off and put the 265s on. I would think most good shops would do that for their customers.

:D

Awesome! Thanks for ya'lls Help. I think I'll head to the Tire place tomorrow and see if they can "try" the 285's....and hopefully they have time and are willing to do that for a customer ready to spend close to $700 on tires...haha who knows these days though! Thinking about going with Some BF's AT's or Pro Comp's AT's. Post a picture soon! Thanks. :D

Archived