Throttle Body Spacers 6.0L

Another thread

Vortec engines inject directly into the intake ports. Since there is injectors on each cylinder and they have such a small distance to travel there is no benefit or ridiculously small. Think of spraying a windex spray bottle into a fan, does next to nothing to increase the air to water mixture. Now on the old EFI's it would be more like spraying a water hose at a fan, it breaks it up a lot more. The fan = spacer. New injectors spray smaller amounts, at better air to mixture ratio because they are only concerned with getting fuel to one cylinder. I may be a little off on my analogies and explaination, but it is the general idea.

The tunes for engine now are the way to go. They can customize them to what you want. Ask many people around the website, some are partial to Westers some to PCM for Less. But all agree it is the way to go, I think Daubs has gotten about a 2-3 mpg increase on his 8.1 from Westers.

Another thread

Vortec engines inject directly into the intake ports.  Since there is injectors on each cylinder and they have such a small distance to travel there is no benefit or ridiculously small.  Think of spraying a windex spray bottle into a fan, does next to nothing to increase the air to water mixture.  Now on the old EFI's it would be more like spraying a water hose at a fan, it breaks it up a lot more.  The fan = spacer.  New injectors spray smaller amounts, at better air to mixture ratio because they are only concerned with getting fuel to one cylinder.  I may be a little off on my analogies and explaination, but it is the general idea.

The tunes for engine now are the way to go.  They can customize them to what you want.  Ask many people around the website, some are partial to Westers some to PCM for Less.  But all agree it is the way to go, I think Daubs has gotten about a 2-3 mpg increase on his 8.1 from Westers.

Thanks for the info!

• 3 weeks later...
I have a spacer and it isn't doing anything besides annoying me now.  Save the $ and spend it towards an intake or skip all the BS and buy a tune...trust me.

i have a poweraid tbi spacer on my 04 8.1. i got it for like 90.00. i wasnt expecting the world from it, but it did improve my throttle response and feel. It also makes a cool whistling sound when paired with my airaid intake. I think they do exactly what they advertise. By the way i also have a westers 93 hot tune, stainless works long tube headers, catback and the above mentioned intake parts. Its fast and soundds mean as hell

I think spacers are junk, too, but like bigblock said, when coupled with other mods, they may work a little better.

Thanks everyone for your input, I don't think I'm going to do it, instead I am going to start with the exhaust, problem is that I only want to replace the muffler and Flowmaster doesn't make the 70 series that will "bolt" in.

Throttle body spacers may add a very small amount to higher rpm ranges but be careful as they reduce both torque and horspower and lower rpms (under 1500rpm or so). Most of my driving is short distance and getting away from a stop is more important to me than highway gains. If you do lots of higher rpm driving a T/body spacer may help a little. :chevy:

Archived