adding OEM NAV after the fact---compatibility

Just bought a 2004 Yukon that has a 6 CD changer / radio all in one, does not have a NAV system.

Was thinking about buying an OEM NAV unit from ebay and replacing the existing "radio/CD" with the purchased NAV / CD. Not sure I understand the compatibility issues involved...especially the talk about y91, y92.

Can I get a little guidance?

Guest 007FL

Your only compatibility concern is that there are two types of units. Lux and Non-lux. Lux units are for Hummers and Escalades, Non-lux for the rest of us (with Bose systems). Get the non-lux unit. Have the Theftlock reset. Rock on.

Think this over before you start. You now have a 6 disc changer. The NAV unit only holds one disc. DVD or CD. If you are using the NAV you cannot listen to CD's.

Look around for the external 6 disc changer and follow the directions on the thread describing the change over.

:chevy:

That sounds like good information from someone who knows his business.

non-lux----got it / theftlock reset---who does that, a dealer? / external 6 disc--"follow directions on thread"---what is a thread? / will all my steering wheel buttons work after this? / in several of the ebay adds they talk about "must be y91 or y92---what is that all about?

Just bought a 2004 Yukon that has a 6 CD changer / radio all in one, does not have a NAV system.

Was thinking about buying an OEM NAV unit from ebay and replacing the existing "radio/CD" with the purchased NAV / CD.  Not sure I understand the compatibility issues involved...especially the talk about y91, y92. 

Can I get a little guidance?

Your Yukon has the Bose non-lux setup. you will need to get a non-lux nav unit just as 007FL said. the Y91 and Y92 are the lux versions and will only work with the lux Bose amp. You can upgrade to the lux setup by changing the amp to the lux amp and doing some minor wiring mods at the amp's connectors.

Check out this thread, it is long but it has all the info on doing these upgrades: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28030

Guest 007FL

:D Sorry, I didn't notice that you were a newbie. No problem.

Theftlock is how GM tries to keep radios from being stolen. Now it requires reprogramming by the dealer since it actually stores your VIN in the radio.

A thread is a topic of discussion. You started this one when you clicked on "new topic". We commonly refer people to other threads to keep from retyping a lot of information. BBSilverado posted a link to the one you want. It is VERY long but seriously, read through the whole thing. LOTS of info in there are you'll be using most of it.

Oh, Welcome to GM-Trucks.com

:chevy:

Archived