powerlock/domelight problems

I HAVE A 99 OBS 2 DOOR 2WD TAHOE. the other night while driving the dome light kept flickering in conjuctions with bumps in the road. then when i got to my destination, my keyless would not work. i tried hitting the power lock switch and nothing. i heard the relay swithing, but was not getting anything from the locks. i pulled open the fuse cover and touched the top breaker in the panel(labeled "power util") and it was so hot it burnt me. on my way home from work i smelled that distictive "burning electronic component smell". then when i got out my dome light did not turn on. then i hit tthe lock nbutton on my door, and my dome light kicked on, but no locks. the relay kicks in but still no action from the actuators.

Look where the wiring harness goes through the door and the body. Sounds like some wires are shorting together. Possibly the door lock circiut providing power to the dome light circuit.

If the problem isn't there, look inside the door at the harness.

I fixed a 98 pickup about 2 months ago that the harness in the door was melted together. The radio would stay on when the key was off and the power windows would only work intermittantly. A bur in the metal on the inside of the door had been wearing away at the insulation on the wires.

Look where the wiring harness goes through the door and the body.  Sounds like some wires are shorting together.  Possibly the door lock circiut providing power to the dome light circuit.

If the problem isn't there, look inside the door at the harness.

I fixed a 98 pickup about 2 months ago that the harness in the door was melted together.  The radio would stay on when the key was off and the power windows would only work intermittantly.  A bur in the metal on the inside of the door had been wearing away at the insulation on the wires.

no luck . all the wires look fine in the door jambs.

Archived