4x4 vs 2WD do they drive any differently?

So my last Tahoe.... 2001 2wd

now this Tahoe... 2003 4wd

Do they ride / drive any differently?

Something seems different in the steering / not good or bad ..just different, and I cant put my finger on what it is. steering seems a bit more loose in the new one almost, I dono..

Or maybe its nothing besides the fact I had that Lincoln LS for 4 months in there which had some TIGHT steering!

:driving: MIKE

I always thought the 4WDs had a lower center of gravity (at least in most GM vehicles- where 2WD and 4WD vehicles tend to have the same ride heights from the factory). This is because of the extra drivetrain mass down low between the frame / wheels on the 4WDs. I know for sure it was true on the Trailblazers, because the 4x4 model rated better for rollover resistance than the 2x4 models.

The 2wd and 4x4 Tahoe have the same frame and suspension. They both have torsion bar front. They may have different spring rates, but overall they are the same.

I wouldn't describe a 4x4s steering as loose. Feels a little different, but not loose.

To me the steering in 4x4 vs 2x4 just seems heavier.

You have a heavier front end and it makes the steering a little different. It also affects the weight transfer on braking, acceleration, and especially cornering.

To me the steering in 4x4 vs 2x4 just seems    heavier.

You have a heavier front end and it makes the steering a little different. It also affects the weight transfer on braking, acceleration, and especially cornering.

I agree, I would use the word heavier. I have been calling mine loose but heavier is a better word. Maybe there is some more assist in the 4wds than the 2wds?

Archived