Freeze plug problem

Mrmaxx

Question

HI, I have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe Z71 5.3 with 3500 miles on it. I have found that the passanger side freeze plug on the cylinder head is leaking anti-freeze. I wiped it clean and drove it for a week and it is leaking again. I am bring it in to Chevy on 9/1/05 to be looked at. Have you seen this before? Is this going to be a big deal to repair? Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob

0 answers to this question

Sorry about the late reply.

Yes their is a usage charge, it cost me $1,851.82 in usage fee's. You get back all other money including sales tax, finance charges and attorney fees ($1,500). So basically I used the truck for 2 years for $1,851.82. But you can't put a dollar amount on the time, energy and AGGRAVATION I went through.

BTW three Chevy dealers in my area (LI NY) are going out of business very soon, Bay Chevy, Hustedt West and Dobler Chevy. All of them had terrible customer service records.

FYI I am now the proud owner of a 07 DODGE Durango Limited Hemi and a 06 DODGE 1500 QC Hemi. Great dealer service and they were priced right...

Check out my for sale add, I am selling all the after market parts off the Tahoe.

Bob Novie

FYI I am now the proud owner of a 07 DODGE Durango Limited Hemi and a 06 DODGE 1500 QC Hemi. Great dealer service and they were priced right...

Bob Novie

Bad move dude......heard the durango has lots of problems.....

Durango = more aggravation. Got the lawyers number just in case?

:cheers:

UPDATE:

Hi all,

Now my Z71 has 10500 miles and has been back to the dealer three times for the leaking Freeze Plug. It is still leaking and I need to address it with Chevy. Has anyone been down this road before? What should I expect Chevy to do about this problem? What kind of BS do you think I will hear?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Bob  :)

Why don't they change the head? If it still leaking after 3 tries and no fix that would be a logical step.

I am not comfortable with the local GM mechanic removing the heads on my truck. They can't even fix a freeze plug, can you imagine what they would do to the engine if they removed the heads? I have contacted the GM area manager so he can get involved. It should be interesting to see what takes place.

Hi,

You could try some permatex #2 on the threads.

In the process of doing a coolant drain/flush and fill, the haynes manual suggested using permatex #2 on the threads of the drain plugs on the engine block.

t

Hi,

In the process of doing a coolant drain/flush and fill, the haynes manual suggested using permatex #2 on the threads of the drain plugs on the engine block.

t

This is a new truck that shouldn't be leaking anything. It is under warranty and I am not touching it. Have you seen this problem before? Thanks

UPDATE:

Hi all,

Now my Z71 has 10500 miles and has been back to the dealer three times for the leaking Freeze Plug. It is still leaking and I need to address it with Chevy. Has anyone been down this road before? What should I expect Chevy to do about this problem? What kind of BS do you think I will hear?

Bob :crazy:

Hi,

t

This is a new truck that shouldn't be leaking anything. It is under warranty and I am not touching it. Have you seen this problem before? Thanks

Great! so how big a job is it to fix?

Bob

:driving:
UPDATE:

Hi all,

Bob  :cheers:

Why don't they change the head? If it still leaking after 3 tries and no fix that would be a logical step.

I am not comfortable with the local GM mechanic removing the heads on my truck. They can't even fix a freeze plug, can you imagine what they would do to the engine if they removed the heads? I have contacted the GM area manager so he can get involved. It should be interesting to see what takes place.

Update:

GM bought the truck back from me. Got a lawer and lemon Lawed the truck, See ya POS Tahoe!

Bob Novie

Bad move dude......heard the durango has lots of problems.....

Hi,

t

Great! so how big a job is it to fix?

Bob

UPDATE: Got the truck back from dealer today, freeze plug fixed. No one at the dealer so far has seen a new truck have the same problem as me, yet. Hopefully this will be the end of the problem. If it happens again I will post.

Thanks

UPDATE:

Hi all,

Bob  :rolleyes:

Archived