85 silverado feul pump repair mystery

mntman

Question

I replaced my mechanical fuel pump because it was leaking..running great.I put the new one in and no go?Poured fuel over the carb and it ran for 10 sec.Then I got another pump no go?.Then I put the old one on no go!I detatched the line from the carb to the pump no spray.I sucked fuel out of the tank from the line out of the tank and got a mouth full so i guess ther is no clogg.I pushed the rod up to the cam and it still doesnt work ,amking sure the rod is hitting the cam and pump arm..pleas any help would be muchly appreciated. :crackup:

0 answers to this question

Had my buddy stick a screwdriver in the hole the rod comes down in and the rod didnt move at all....is the cam bad ??

Does the rod move up and down while cranking the engine. The rod will move by just moving it. Take the plate off and put some grease on the pushrod and reinstall it. Reinstall the plate and the reinstall the pump. I am prestty sure you don't have the pushod on the pump lever.

The reason the rod didn't move it is down against the mounting plate. Do as I suggested and it should work properly.

I pushed the rod up to the cam and it still doesnt work ,amking sure the rod is hitting the cam and pump arm..

This part is confusing. If you push the rod up against the cam and someone cranks the engine while you're pushing the rod against the cam, does the rod move in and out?

Seems unlikely there's a problem there if it worked okay before you replaced it. Also seems unlikely you got two bad pumps. And I don't believe you can get the pump in place if you don't get the arm in the proper place in relation to the rod... in other words, under the rod.

I pushed the rod up to the cam and it still doesnt work ,amking sure the rod is hitting the cam and pump arm..

I think I got it under the rod cause i pryed it up witha ascrew driver and it stayed up when i put the pump int place.Do you think I damaged the rod or the cam prying it up with a a screw driver? The truck has 95 original and is a big block if that helps any?

This part is confusing. If you push the rod up against the cam and someone cranks the engine while you're pushing the rod against the cam, does the rod move in and out?

Seems unlikely there's a problem there if it worked okay before you replaced it. Also seems unlikely you got two bad pumps. And I don't believe you can get the pump in place if you don't get the arm in the proper place in relation to the rod... in other words, under the rod.

oh my freind said the rod  didnt move when i was cranking the engine?

Was he holding it up against the cam, or just peering into the hole, watching it? It ain't gonna move if it's not held up against the cam.

Seems strange that the original pump worked fine, just leaked, and suddenly you have this problem after installing a new pump.

It is strange but what would be the best coarse to take at this oint im stumped and need a ride lol.

what do you suggest i do from here?

Was he holding it up against the cam, or just peering into the hole, watching it? It ain't gonna move if it's not held up against the cam.

Seems strange that the original pump worked fine, just leaked, and suddenly you have this problem after installing a new pump.

the rod doesnt move when i crank the engine ,i had freind put a screwdriver againnst the end of the rod to see if any movement would be felt in the screw driver. i took the plug out of the bottom of the housing and the rod wont slip through ..it is stuck in one place.i have had the plug out for over 24 hrs. and the rod hasnt slipped out.i think i may install a holley universal elect. fuel pump. if the rod is bent from putting the pump in wrong and starting the enigine will it be ok to do this and leave the rod in scince i cant get it out..how do you get it out if its bent?

thanks !! :banghead: oh the rod is not against the plate it has bout 1/4 inch gap between were the rod and the arm should be?

what do you suggest i do from here?

Archived