What can I do that won't void my warranty?

LS4U2NV

Question

Thought I'd throw this out.

Would things like a aftermarket Catback exhaust, A K&N airfilter, Cold Air box void my warranty? If there are some things that can be done to give a bit more power to the truck can be done without voiding a warranty. What are they?

I would think something like a K&N airfilter would be acceptable. But ... Is It?

-Matt-

0 answers to this question

Rule #1: NEVER listen to a salesman when it comes to questions about your warranty!

Talk to the service department, preferably the manager. Every place is different in their view on how they'll handle modifications. I know some dealerships around here that will nearly automatically blame any mod that MIGHT be remotely related to a problem without doing any sort of diagnosis. Get the stance from the dealer you're going to work with.

I can speak from experience. I have had my truck in a couple times for minor things and also the transmission TSB. At no time has my local dealership said any of the modifications were the cause of my problems. Just work with your local dealer and be honest with them about what has been done and I am sure they will work with you.

Have a good day.

Bill

What are some of the aftermarket add on that you guys are running that dealerships seem to say"OK" to?

Wanted to update to a K&N filter. But if some of you are running cold air boxes and the dealerships are ok with that............. I'll wait.

Also. I will check with local dealerships to see what they say as well.

That way, I know what to throw money at............ When I get some. :rant:

TIA -Matt-

Thought I'd throw this out.

Would things like a aftermarket Catback exhaust, A K&N airfilter, Cold Air box void my warranty? If there are some things that can be done to give a bit more power to the truck can be done without voiding a warranty.  What are they?

I would think something like a K&N airfilter would be acceptable. But ...   Is It?

-Matt-

Your warranty can't really be "voided" entirely, but if one of those modifications results in a problem, that problem would not be covered under the warranty. MANY dealerships will blame all sorts of things on your modifications, so if you modify your truck, be prepared for a battle each time you go in for a warranty repair. If they don't hassle you, you're ahead of the game.

People will spout about the magnessun-moss act, which covers this sort of thing, but unless you're prepared to hire an attorney and battle some specific thing you feel is unjust in a court of law, that act is of little help. Contrary to popular opinion, service managers do not shiver in their boots when this act is mentioned. Many probably have no clue what it is!

I actually asked the sales person at the dealership the same question. I got told 2 things:

1. "No - unless they trace the problem back to your modification"

2. "You're the first person who ever asked that question"

I waited 3-4 months after owning the truck before doing anything. Whenever it goes to the dealership I explain the problem and point out any relevant modifications I've done recently. So far, every time the service writer has said "That [my modification] won't cause the problem your experiencing".

They've never hassled me about it to date and the service dept is darn near excellent.

Archived