Thermostatic Air Cleaner Valve

For some reason, I started looking at how the "thermostatic" valve in the air cleaner housing on my truck works. I think I was just trying to see how air flow worked when I put in a new filter. When cold, the valve is shut, then is supposed to open when the engine warms up and allow cool intake air a large path to the filter.

After running the engine and getting it to normal temp, the valve stays closed. It is the electronic kind (no vacuum lines). I thought that I would just replace it cheaply and forget about it. The valve/sensor is discountinued and the entire air cleaner base with the sensor is discoutinued from GM. I could not find any on line, either.

So, is there a way to test if the sensor works? It really restricts airflow, and I am hoping that it opens as advertised driving down the road, but when I stop and check it, it is closed. I have Banks headers with the stovepipe to the valve if that makes any difference.

If it is malfunctioning, any sources for a replacement? I am going to look in the salvage yard, but no promises of the electronic sensor working on a used one.

Thanks, guys.

• 3 weeks later...

I recomend changing it out for an aftermarket air cleaner, Mine went out some time ago. I spent months looking for a replacement only to find out that GM has discontinued making that part. a K&N air cleaner will be cheaper and help your MPG's , good luck

that thermostatic air cleaner housing is just there for quicker warm ups of induction system, its an EZ enuf fix to remove the butterfly and seal off the hot air induction port with a plastic cap and some tape and let it ride..

its a disadvantage to power and fuel economy to leave it pulling intake air off the exhaust manifold

Thanks for the replies. I would replace with an aftermarket or seal it up, but both options will fail me for the emissions testing. They pull off the tube and inspect the butterfly valve. That's the big problem.

Thanks for the replies.  I would replace with an aftermarket or seal it up, but both options will fail me for the emissions testing.  They pull off the tube and inspect the butterfly valve.  That's the big problem.

take the guts out of it, put it back together when it needs inspection, pass inspection and remove the guts for another year.

Thanks for the replies.  I would replace with an aftermarket or seal it up, but both options will fail me for the emissions testing.  They pull off the tube and inspect the butterfly valve.  That's the big problem.

take the guts out of it, put it back together when it needs inspection, pass inspection and remove the guts for another year.

Might just work. And it will be for two years between inspections up here!

Thanks.

Archived