RPM's jumping around

CLTX11

Question

I searched the forum and found a couple of items under "hesitate" and have some of the same problems as well but not enough info.....

For a 98 5.7 liter Silverado Z71

Whenever I am going at a constant speed or gradually accelerating the truck feels like it is hesitant and the RPM's jump around with the hesitation. If I accelerate faster than normal it will not hesitate to go. When I was entering the freeway and gave it some gas and when it switches gears near the redline, it feels like it doesnt know which gear to go in.

I also noticed recently that the "Check Gauges" light will flash for a split second when accelerating. All the gauges are fine except for the more than common problem with the gas gauge not working properly (read about that so I dont need help with the gas gauge.)

As many others I have performed a full tune up.

Thanks for any help.

Also is the an online "database" for the engine diagram and help on "how to's?"

Ie. I seen a post about the problem might be the MAF sensor, how would I go about checking it out etc.

0 answers to this question

Sounds to me like a faulty throttle position sensor or a bad "stepper motor". This motor controls the idle and light "off-idle" behavior of your engine. It often gets sticky due to carbon build-up.

I had about the same problem on my 96 s10. My rpm would move up and down if I ran the truck at 1500rmp anything

above that or below seemed to be ok. I finialy found out what was causing the up and down rpm. It was the computer

the output of the computer to the throttle position sensor should be a constant 5vdc. Mine was fluxuating up and down

by 1/2 volt. this made the computer think I was playing with the pettle. The dealer changed the computer out and truck

runs fine now.

Well it had this problem before I did the tune up and I made sure all the wires were snug so I dont see a problem there.

Update on the check gauge's light. I was stopped and the check gauge light was on, I then noticed the oil pressure gauge fluctuating when stopping and going. Ill have to look at it tomorrow morning, its not time for a oil change or low but I will go ahead and change it tomorrow.

It was doing this before I replaced cap, rotor, PVC valve, wires and plugs. It is still "jumping."

When I am gradually accelerating or going at a constant speed say 40 MPH, it feels like what would be a bad O2 sensor would cause. It feels to be bogging down and the RPM will jump up and down til I either let off the gas or give it more than normal acceleration.

I found out the check engine light was from the oil pressure gauge bobbling around. Checked oil, it was fine but went ahead and changed it out and it fixed the check engine light problem.

I was refering to fuel pressure. If it only happens at speed you may be having TCC shudder. One way to test this is to lightly press the brake pedal when the problem occurs. Press the pedal enough to turn the brake lights on but not enough to slow you down.

//90GMCZ71

I had about the same problem on my 96 s10. My rpm would move up and down if I ran the truck at 1500rmp anything

above that or below seemed to be ok. I finialy found out what was causing the up and down rpm. It was the computer

the output of the computer to the throttle position sensor should be a constant 5vdc. Mine was fluxuating up and down

by 1/2 volt. this made the computer think I was playing with the pettle. The dealer changed the computer out and truck

runs fine now.

Archived