Service 4wd = Replace Encoder Motor Sensor?

corym1

Question

I'm pretty sure that my Service 4WD message is due to the encoder motor sensor being faulty. I don't know the Error code though to confirm this. Is there another way to confirm this without paying $100 to get it checked by a dealer? Is this somthing I can replace myself? Does anyone have the instructions to do this for an 04 Duramax? Thanks.

0 answers to this question

I'm pretty sure that my Service 4WD message is due to the encoder motor sensor being faulty. I don't know the Error code though to confirm this. Is there another way to confirm this without paying $100 to get it checked by a dealer? Is this somthing I can replace myself? Does anyone have the instructions to do this for an 04 Duramax? Thanks.

Just a thought, when my 2004 had "Service 4wd" display on the screen it was because my sensor on the top right of my transfer case got disconected. Not saying that is your problem but if that sensor is bad it would cause that message and if you don't want to spend the cash the speed Sensor to the left of the 4wd Sensor looks like the same part, Maybe try swapping the two and see what happens? they just screw out all you need is a 3/4 wrench. if you try this let me know what happens if you would, if that is the same sensor and you swap the two and the one is bad on your 4wd side your screen should go from saying service 4wd to "service brake system" and your abs light will stay on and your "E-Brake" light as well, this sensor is only $36.00 if this is your problem. Maybe worth a try??? This site will show what it looks like, put in S8365 where it asks for Part# http://www.bwdbrand.com/web_app/catalog/bwd_bgBulk.aspx

There is no way to pull codes with the cheap scanner from autozone, advance, or any other place that has it. That scanner will only pull P codes and the 4x4 computer are B and C codes.

If it is the sensor in the encoder motor you can replace it your self, but it has to be reprogrammed to work correctly.

Archived