'04 Z71 - Already, Tranny Problems

'04 Z, 78,000 miles. Transmission starts to go out today. It started slipping shifting into 2nd after a red light. Then, I barely made it up the entrance ramp onto I-35. I was revving 4000 rpms and the truck wouldn't gear down and give me any power at all. I had to have her towed to the dealership. They're telling me $400 to pull the tranny and a minimum $1800 if they can overhaul it. $4000 if I need to get a new transmission. Looks like I'm going to be taking out a loan.

I'm as much of a Chevy guy as anyone. I'm on my third Silverado. The last 2 went 200,000 miles with NO major issues such as this. I'm pretty pissed. There's NO REASON I should be buying a new tranny on a $35,000 truck with only 78,000 miles.

'04 Z, 78,000 miles. Transmission starts to go out today. It started slipping shifting into 2nd after a red light. Then, I barely made it up the entrance ramp onto I-35. I was revving 4000 rpms and the truck wouldn't gear down and give me any power at all. I had to have her towed to the dealership. They're telling me $400 to pull the tranny and a minimum $1800 if they can overhaul it. $4000 if I need to get a new transmission. Looks like I'm going to be taking out a loan.

I'm as much of a Chevy guy as anyone. I'm on my third Silverado. The last 2 went 200,000 miles with NO major issues such as this. I'm pretty pissed. There's NO REASON I should be buying a new tranny on a $35,000 truck with only 78,000 miles.

Yea, I definitely understand your frustration. Maybe someone could clear this up for me, but don't those trucks have 100k powertrain warranty? Wouldn't that include tranny failure?

I think that started in '05. I Asked my dealer if my '04 was covered and its not.

It is definitely worth asking

Yea, I definitely understand your frustration. Maybe someone could clear this up for me, but don't those trucks have 100k powertrain warranty? Wouldn't that include tranny failure?

$1800 is about right from a dealer. See if they let you suppy the parts, otherwise I'd hit a tranny shop. $4K for new is insane, unless the tranny is cracked or something

Look here

Archived