Mileage On Engine Vs Fuel Economy

I can understand getting better mpg after the initial xxxx miles of engine break-in, but what about beyond that? At what point (generally) does fuel economy level off? A lot of dodge owners say their engines get better economy as the miles pile up well into the 10's of thousands (something about the tension or strength of the rings being high and taking longer to seat). I don't see these claims being made by GM owners anywhere.

Just curious what the consensus may be and maybe a little more info on the physics of it all, too.

I've got about 4800km on now and I do notice consistent increase in mileage with each tank full.

Most say that up to about 10K there is a small gradual improvement. After that, there is no reason to believe it will get any better. 12000 miles on mine and the mileage is about the same as it was new.

Between 10,000 and the 55,000 miles I'm at currently I haven't noticed any appreciable difference in mpg. From 0 - 10,000 miles, fuel mileage might have improved a little. :)

Back many moons ago I had a '95 bare bones regular cab with the 4.3L. At 225,000 miles I was still getting 20-21 mpg on the highway in the summer, the same as I was getting over 100,000 miles earlier (bought it used). Just kept all of the fluids fresh, parts reasonably clean, and everything greased.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived