Needle bearings found on drain plug

liketohunt

Question

I just finished changing the oil on my 2005 5.3L equiped Chevy Silverado. This vehicle has 8992 miles on it. When I removed the drain plug it had six 1/4"- 3/8" long needle bearing rollers sticking to the magnetic tip. I have seen machining fines in the past on new engines but never complete needle bearings. What should I ask the dealer to do to check this out? I have saved the needles for their analysis. I would love to at least know some potential areas where they should look. THX KES

0 answers to this question

This bulletin doesn't specifically apply to your 2003, but there's no reason the dealer can't use this for reference since you have the exact same problem.

Needle Bearings Found In Oil Pan (Replace Rocker Arms) #02-06-01-029 - (Aug 28, 2002)

1998-2002 Chevrolet Camaro, Corvette

1998-2002 Pontiac Firebird

2002 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT

1999-2002 Chevrolet Silverado

2000-2002 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche

1999-2002 GMC Sierra

2000-2002 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2003 HUMMER H2

with 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L or 6.0L V8 Engine (VINs V, T, G, S, U -- RPOs LR4, LM7, LS1, LS6, LQ4, LQ9)

Condition

Some customers may comment or technicians may notice needle bearings being found during an engine oil change. The bearings may be found in either the drain pan used or on the magnetic oil pan drain plug.

Cause

One or more rocker arms may have experienced a bearing failure.

Correction

Inspect all of the rocker arms for bearing retainer cap failure. If one or more defective rocker arms are found, replace all 16 rocker arms. Refer to the Engine Mechanical sub-section in the appropriate Service Manual.

If no condition with the rocker arms is found, refer to the service history for previous rocker arm repair. If previous rocker arm repair was made, then the engine may not have been thoroughly cleaned of loose roller bearings. If no previous rocker arm repair was made, then look for another condition.

Remove the oil pan and clean out any additional bearings found within the oil pan. Refer to the Engine Mechanical sub-section in the appropriate Service Manual.

Install the oil pan. Refer to the Engine Mechanical sub-section in the appropriate Service Manual.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Qty

Rocker Arm

Gasket - Rocker Arm Cover

Gasket - Oil Pan

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

J0357

Rocker Arm - Replace - Both Banks

Use published labor operation time

J1000

Pan and/or Gasket - Replace

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer".  They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle.  Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely.  If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition.  See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation.  All Rights Reserved.

I'd freak out if I saw that...That could really tear some stuff up.

Actually, there's little chance that the needle bearings floating around in the pan would be a problem. They're too big to pass through the pickup screen and they'll either lay in the bottom or eventually work their way to the magnet on the drain plug.

This bulletin doesn't specifically apply to your 2003, but there's no reason the dealer can't use this for reference since you have the exact same problem.

Needle Bearings Found In Oil Pan (Replace Rocker Arms) #02-06-01-029 - (Aug 28, 2002)

1998-2002 Chevrolet Camaro, Corvette

1998-2002 Pontiac Firebird

2002 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT

1999-2002 Chevrolet Silverado

2000-2002 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche

1999-2002 GMC Sierra

2000-2002 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2003 HUMMER H2

with 4.8L, 5.3L, 5.7L or 6.0L V8 Engine (VINs V, T, G, S, U -- RPOs LR4, LM7, LS1, LS6, LQ4, LQ9)

Condition

Some customers may comment or technicians may notice needle bearings being found during an engine oil change. The bearings may be found in either the drain pan used or on the magnetic oil pan drain plug.

Cause

One or more rocker arms may have experienced a bearing failure.

Correction

Inspect all of the rocker arms for bearing retainer cap failure. If one or more defective rocker arms are found, replace all 16 rocker arms. Refer to the Engine Mechanical sub-section in the appropriate Service Manual.

If no condition with the rocker arms is found, refer to the service history for previous rocker arm repair. If previous rocker arm repair was made, then the engine may not have been thoroughly cleaned of loose roller bearings. If no previous rocker arm repair was made, then look for another condition.

Remove the oil pan and clean out any additional bearings found within the oil pan. Refer to the Engine Mechanical sub-section in the appropriate Service Manual.

Install the oil pan. Refer to the Engine Mechanical sub-section in the appropriate Service Manual.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Qty

Rocker Arm

Gasket - Rocker Arm Cover

Gasket - Oil Pan

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

J0357

Rocker Arm - Replace - Both Banks

Use published labor operation time

J1000

Pan and/or Gasket - Replace

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Archived