Power Door Lock Unlocks But Won't Lock

I have a 2000 chevy silverado with power windows/locks. I blew a fuse and all the power locks stopped working. I replaced the fuse and now all works good except my passenger door will unlock but not lock. I replaced the door lock assembly which didn't fix a thing. I am getting power to the door lock but nothing happens. I can't even hear the actuator try to lock the door like I can when it locks. It doesn't matter where I try to lock the door, it simply won't auto lock. Any help would be great!

This happened to me once before, it was during winter, the ps door would not lock when I pressed the remote for the alarm. I winded up spraying WD40 into the door and it fixed it. This happened twice during same winter and never failed on me again. My problem area was the locking mechanism on the inside of the door panel. I sprayed WD40 inside from there and it solved the problem. You could have a bad actuator, or perhaps corrsion on a wire to actuator. Did you take off the door skin and get a look of the actuator?

This happened to me once before, it was during winter, the ps door would not lock when I pressed the remote for the alarm. I winded up spraying WD40 into the door and it fixed it. This happened twice during same winter and never failed on me again. My problem area was the locking mechanism on the inside of the door panel. I sprayed WD40 inside from there and it solved the problem. You could have a bad actuator, or perhaps corrsion on a wire to actuator. Did you take off the door skin and get a look of the actuator?

Yup, I took the door skin off and all looks fine. I even pulled the door lock assembly and stuck it on the driver's side and it works fine. I'm getting power, just no action when any of the lock buttons are pressed.

Wanted to add that I like having those rain guards on my vehicles, they do a great job in diverting water away and from coming in the window, when you have a cracked window while driving in the rain. If any water shall get on my buttons, I wipe them off as soon as possible. Especially in winter when it is snowing and I am in and out of the truck alot while plowing. Snow gets on them and the melted snow can screw up the buttons.

Definately sounds like the lock relay. In the fuse block behind the panel on the end of the dashboard (driver's side), you'll find two small black relays near the center of the fuse block. Those are the lock and unlock relays. Same relay in both positions, so you can swap them and see if the problem reverses (door locks but won't unlock). If it does, just replace the bad one and you're all set. I paid around $25 for one at Autozone.

Sometimes just reseating the relay will correct the problem for a short time, but eventually the relay will stop working and you'll have to replace it.

Archived