Road Trip Mpg's

Just did 3800 miles mostly highway in 2009 Silverado 5.3 with 3:42 gears and GM 20 inch wheels. Truck now has 5900 miles. Did not check any city driving figures. My highway MPGs were pretty good. Most driving was done between 70 and 85 MPH through Arkansas, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California and then back to Arkansas. Texas driving at night was the slowest at 65-70 MPH at night to avoid the speeding tickets!! Texas at night had me at 21 MPG a one time 21.4 fill up. All figures BTW were done via miles traveled gallons used method and no DIC information (don't have one)

The 70-85 MPH travels were pretty good at 20-21 MPG's most of the average was the 21 MPG mark or just slightly better at 21.1.

Truck was loaded with 3 people and a bed full (6.5) of household goods both ways, I figure the wieght was about 500 LBS each way.

I was very happy with the MPG's and could see what I think was the AFM working (RPMS go down and then back up) at the 65 MPH mark and some less at 70 MPH, with the cruise on it also seemed to possibly be working at the 75 MPH mark. At some points the RMPS went down for what seemed like a few miles at time. For almost all highway driving I used the cruise control. Driving up steep hills I left the cruise on and the truck did a great in performance and enconomy. Going down hills I left it on most of the time but had to shut it off to keep speed regulated easyier by just braking. The truck seems like it will coast forever when you let off the gas peddle, almost picking up speed on slight down hills.

I am thinking of going with a black bear tune. Anyone know if I can increase the MPG's with the tune? Does anyone know if the GM warranty is voided witha black bear tune? The tune i would want would be more for economy than performance. I am very happy with the trucks performance.

That is still very good for a 2 wheel drive truck. I would say with a tune you might be able to increase it some, that is, if you can keep your foot out of the gas, because the truck will be a lot more enjoyable to drive.

road trip is the fastest and easiest app for tracking of your car’s fuel economy, maintenance history, and expenses.the most comprehensive road travel app of them all, Road Trip allows you to track mileage, fuel prices, graph out trip expenses, and even export the data to csv ben parr, mashable.com.

road trip is the fastest and easiest app for tracking of your car's fuel economy, maintenance history, and expenses.the most comprehensive road travel app of them all, Road Trip allows you to track mileage, fuel prices, graph out trip expenses, and even export the data to csv ben parr, mashable.com.

Is this for an I-phone or what? Also saw your sig about supplies. I am a type II.

GM issued a service bulletin in May '09 that states that any modification to the original ECM or TCM program - even if subsequently removed - will void the warranty.

Some folks who own new trucks buy a spare ECM (which is difficult because GM only sells that part as an exchange) and swap it back in when they bring their truck in for service. This won't work for tranny tunes in the newer models, since the TCM is located inside the transmission case.

Some tuners claim they can hide the program changes from the dealer's scan tool by using something called a "stealth tune."

• 2 weeks later...

I did a few 1000 mile trips.

I get 16.5mpg at 72-74mph on an 08 5.3L/4sp 4WD, extended cab LT2 with 20" rims and goodyear touring tires. If I add my 12 foot enclosed trailer with V-nose, I get 9.8mpg empty or full full of cargo.

• 4 weeks later...
Just did 3800 miles mostly highway in 2009 Silverado 5.3 with 3:42 gears and GM 20 inch wheels. Truck now has 5900 miles. Did not check any city driving figures. My highway MPGs were pretty good. Most driving was done between 70 and 85 MPH through Arkansas, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California and then back to Arkansas. Texas driving at night was the slowest at 65-70 MPH at night to avoid the speeding tickets!! Texas at night had me at 21 MPG a one time 21.4 fill up. All figures BTW were done via miles traveled gallons used method and no DIC information (don't have one)

The 70-85 MPH travels were pretty good at 20-21 MPG's most of the average was the 21 MPG mark or just slightly better at 21.1.

Truck was loaded with 3 people and a bed full (6.5) of household goods both ways, I figure the wieght was about 500 LBS each way.

I was very happy with the MPG's and could see what I think was the AFM working (RPMS go down and then back up) at the 65 MPH mark and some less at 70 MPH, with the cruise on it also seemed to possibly be working at the 75 MPH mark. At some points the RMPS went down for what seemed like a few miles at time. For almost all highway driving I used the cruise control. Driving up steep hills I left the cruise on and the truck did a great in performance and enconomy. Going down hills I left it on most of the time but had to shut it off to keep speed regulated easyier by just braking. The truck seems like it will coast forever when you let off the gas peddle, almost picking up speed on slight down hills.

I am thinking of going with a black bear tune. Anyone know if I can increase the MPG's with the tune? Does anyone know if the GM warranty is voided witha black bear tune? The tune i would want would be more for economy than performance. I am very happy with the trucks performance.

Did I miss it.....is this a 6-speed (crew cab) or a 4-speed (all other cab's) 2009 truck? Thinking 6-speed based on the axle ratio, but......

Thanks

Archived