2 Piece Drive Shaft Center Bearing

My center bearing for my driveshaft is shot and needs replacing.

Is this a reletivley easy "driveway" fix?

Does the yolk have to be pressed out of the bearing?

Looking for any advice before I attempt the change-out.

Thanks in advance...

2002 2500HD CC 4x4, 8.1, alison trans, 140K mi.

This is a dealer item only. I paid around $140 and it takes no time to install. It is called the carrier bearing and the whole item is replaced. No special tools and while you have it out, now is a good time to get "tacky grease" for the slip yoke. If you buy the new part first, then you will understand what I mean by complete replacement. Nothing needs to be pressed.

The last GMC I had, had a carrier bearing and it had to be pressed on. I did everything I could myself and brought it to a machine shop to have them press it and balance the whole thing. I would get it balanced with the carrier bearing. You dont want to have to replace it again because it was out of balance.

Also a good time to do the U joints since you have the shaft out. If they need to be done that is.

I just replaced mine and the part comes as a whole assembly. No pressing required. Make certain it goes back to exactly the same place as when removed. I purchased mine from CarQuest for approx. $145.00. Dealer wanted about $250.00 for the part.

on my 2001 1500 HD, Mine was replaced when my transfer case was replaced. None of the PArts houses (NAPA, Advanced, O'Reilly, etc. had the right one. The Tranny shop found one at a Bearing Supply house. I think I paid $100 for him to get the bearing and install it for me. That said, they did have to press it off. I thought the press was going to break before it finally freed from the shaft.

Thanks for the help so far..

I called the my dealer - the parts and service dept knew only of the press on / press off part.

I checked carquest and wasn't to successful in finding the part.

Dealer wants $206 (part and labor) to do the change out.

Can you guys supply any added info on the "whole assembly" center carrier.

Thanks again.

Man, I have turned my shop inside out looking for that receipt but to no avail. I did phone our local dealership and based on the last 8 digits of your vin# they will determine the bearing needed. I used part # 88934865 (chey part #), which is a complete set up that bolts right up. There was absolutely no pressing of anything. Mine was for the truck in my profile a 2001 silverado 2500hd 8.1l

Here is what it looks like. Looks like the same part but different #.....http://cgi.ebay.ca/CHEVROLET-GMC-TRUCKS-CARRIER-BEARING-NEW-OEM_W0QQitemZ350312164159QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item51903b6b3f

Good Luck

The carrier bearing on my pickup is shot also. According to the Haynes manual, the bearing needs to be pressed off the driveshaft and pressed back on. I called autozone and they have the carrier bearing for $19 but looks like a machine shop is going to have to swap it. I might try to lay my shop press on its side and see if I can get it out. :thumbs:

Archived