Diablo And Fuel Mileage

This may be a repost, I didnt search.

Anyways, I have a diablo for my 08 CC 4WD Sierra 6.0. I have a Lew custom tune on it as well. Anyways, prior to getting the predator and tune, I averaged 16.0 mpg and my DIC was accurate within a half gallon. In other words, I always put in a half gallon more than it read. This has been the exact same for the 2.5 years I have had the truck. Now, since installing the tune, I have seen an increase in the mpg according to my DIC to 18.1. However, that is very inaccurate because I now put in 3.5 gallons more than the DIC says I use. WTF? I mean it has always been the same, a half gallon, and now its off by 3.5 gallons! My driving style has not change at all, I go the same speed every day and drive the exact same route every day. I dont drive on weekends either. I still use a full tank during the week as well. I thought I was on crack the first time, so I watched it even closer for the last 2 tanks. How does getting a tune installed cause my DIC to be so inaccurate? In fact, if you use the mileage that registers and the actual gallons every time, I have lost 1.75 gallons. I am at 14.25 mpg now. I will be unistalling the program to see what it does next week.

Yeah, I'd do a little check like you suggesting. I've noticed too that sometimes when I fill up, it's about 1-2 gallons different than what the DIC reports, but my mileage is usually right on or close to it. :thumbs:

I too have Diablo and Lew's tune,.. but after tomorrow AM, I'll have black bear, so I'll report back :thumbs:

That too was the reason I got diablo, but I've not had any issues in 43,000 miles... so I thought I'd give it a try and not even worry about the second set of computers.

But really, I've noticed that different gas stations report different totals, so I try to go to the same one most of the time to get consistent mileage and consistent amounts.

It's not like they set them to be accurate to start with, they are ALWAYS better than actual (buy usually just .5-1mpg as stated). I'm sure that's just an accident, yeh, whoops. Even if it wasn't intentional, that's something you should be sure NOT to do if worried about your rep. Hopefully it's just something like it's timed too tight, knock sensors went off and adjusted your timing down to have gas mileage drop like that.

It's not like they set them to be accurate to start with, they are ALWAYS better than actual (buy usually just .5-1mpg as stated). I'm sure that's just an accident, yeh, whoops. Even if it wasn't intentional, that's something you should be sure NOT to do if worried about your rep. Hopefully it's just something like it's timed too tight, knock sensors went off and adjusted your timing down to have gas mileage drop like that.

Its not the fuel mileage that I am really concerned with, granted I am deffinately wanting better mileage if I can get it. The thing that is bothering me is wth did the DIC change so drastically. I am still not convinced that my mileage lowered either. I can go all week and still have a little less than a quarter tank left and I dont think that was the case before. Its 32 miles 1 way for me to go to work, and my driving is always the same. I take off like a granny, do the speed limit until I hit the highway, then lock in cruise until I get to the next town and then do the speed limit again. So I know that hasnt changed any.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I have the results of the test over the last month.

No tune, consistently getting 16 MPG and my DIC is off by .2-.3 gals.

Diablo 87 tune, consistently getting 16.1 MPG and my DIC is off by .2-.3 gals

Lew Tune, DIC says 18.1 gal but it is off consistently by 3.5 gals which brings my fuel average to 14 MPG.

• 4 months later...
OK, I have the results of the test over the last month.

No tune, consistently getting 16 MPG and my DIC is off by .2-.3 gals.

Diablo 87 tune, consistently getting 16.1 MPG and my DIC is off by .2-.3 gals

Lew Tune, DIC says 18.1 gal but it is off consistently by 3.5 gals which brings my fuel average to 14 MPG.

This is exactly why tuners on gas engine vehicles are not worth the money if you are looking for MPG gains.I had a Diablosport Predator for my 2004 Silvy and got NO noticeable gains in HP or MPG.

Archived