Blower Wont Shut Off

2004 Sierra. The keys are out of the ignition and the blower for the heater is running. Any idea what would cause this ??? Also the fan runs at the same speed no matter what selection i have it on. Even in the off position its runs.

Any idea what would cause it to short . An how could it be running with the key out of the ignition ?

The relay inside the resistor module has power to it even with the key out, waiting for a signal, if it shorts (usually because of wear) the blower stays on 24/7.

I just replaced one on a 2003 2500 HD, cost for the resistor module was $135

• 10 months later...

ugg - just change the original burnt out unit with a new set from napa back in December and now I'm experiencing the same issue that dannboy20 had gone through. Of course there's a blizzard today of all things... sigh.

ugg - just change the original burnt out unit with a new set from napa back in December and now I'm experiencing the same issue that dannboy20 had gone through. Of course there's a blizzard today of all things... sigh.

If the blower resistor is shorting prematurely then you most likely need a blower motor due to excess current draw.

If the blower resistor is shorting prematurely then you most likely need a blower motor due to excess current draw.

I was hoping that would be my last resort. Once I get the resistor replaced I'll hang an ammeter to check the draw.

After starting the truck I was able to turn on the blower on all speeds. The riddle here is that I still had the 40 amp front fuse for the blower. I know I physically pulled the fuse to stop it from running when the key was out but since I am able to run the blower without the front fuse in place with the truck running do I really need this fuse? I shut the engine off and the blower shut off too. What gives? There are two mini fuses in the left I/P -- a 30 amp and a 10 amp for the htr and a/c which seem normal. Sorry for the long winded response.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: received in the mail yesterday a letter from GM Canada mentioning about the faulty blower resistor part and how they're working with the manufactuer to get a better part produced. Don't know if they'll warrant the part as a recall or do something else. I changed my out during the cold Winter weather so let's see if they do anything for those that have already corrected the problem.

Archived