Driver Seat is dead.....

I have a 2006 silverado 1500HD LT. As of last night, my driver seat is dead. None of the power seat buttons works. I can't move the seat as well as the heated seat is not working either. All of these features are working on the passenger side. I checked all of the connections on the bottom of the seat and nothing seems loose. I also looked in the manual to see which fuses may be the problem. It looks like there is a fuse that controls the heated seats/Ignition and then a circuit breaker that controls both of the power seats. I have yet to find a fuse that controls JUST the driver seat. So does anyone have any ideas on what else to check or any clues as to why just the driver seat is not working??

So I went ahead and pulled the circuit breaker for several minutes, and put another new 10A fuse in for the power seat and now everything seems to be working......weird. The other fuse that was in there was a good fuse, and it is weird that pulling the circuit breaker for several minutes would fix it, because there are only 2 prongs on the breaker and it controls both seats. I never had any trouble with the passenger seat. Do I have an electrical Gremlin??!!!

Your driver's motor was jammed somehow and needed a reset by removing and reapplying power. How often do you actually move it? The only time I move my Malibu's power seat is to clean under it.

Your driver's motor was jammed somehow and needed a reset by removing and reapplying power. How often do you actually move it? The only time I move my Malibu's power seat is to clean under it.

I rarely ever move the seat or adjust it. I have been using the heated seats daily...I live in Alaska. But they appear to be 2 complete different circuits because the power to the seat is the 30A circuit breaker that controls both seats and then the heated seats are included in the ignition with a 10A fuse. So I just think it is odd that they both go out at the same time and that it was only the driver side and not the passenger.

I do have one motor that has stopped worrking, it is the front tilt motor on the bottom cushion. It stopped working a while back.

I'm make some (educated) assumptions here, but it would explain what you found:

*the fuse you are referring to, the 10a one: I can promise that 10a is not enough current to power a seat heater, most likely that fuse only powers the control circuit to the seat heater. It carries small amounts of power to activate a relay under the seat that turns on the seat heater

*the breaker you pulled: it supplies all of the power to the seat motors and seat heaters, that's why it's 30a. ALSO, an automotive circuit breaker is designed to "trip" and stay in that state until power is removed, then it will reset itself and continue to function as long as power isn't overdrawn. This is unlike your house breakers that you go and turn off then back on, there is no switch on the automotive version.

Some basic electrical to further explain:

Switches rarely carry the full load of the item it is switching, it minimizes wiring size, weight and routing high amperage capability where it's not needed (no need for that much power to go in to your door panel control bank in the first place if it's coming back out). Instead millivolts are passed through the switch and those millivolts activate a relay that switches the big power.

I have no idea why the other seat was still working unless you are mistaken and there is a separate breaker, I just don't know.

• Like 1

the relays are under the seat. The seat has only one power wire feeding it, it gets distributed under the seat.

There is no fuse on the power to the relay, that's what the circuit breaker is for. Pull the breaker and reinstall it and you should have power again. Chances are you have a short somewhere under your seat and it's tripping the breaker. Could be a bad wire, seat motor or seat heater.

• Like 1

Sounds like a lot of fun is in my future.......I tried pulling the circuit breaker again and leaving it out for a little bit and then reinstalling, and that didnt help it this time. Am I correct in assuming that the heated seats and power function are on 2 seperate circuits since they are in 2 seperate locations on the fuse block?? If so, any ideas why they would both quit working at the same time, or is it just a fluke and I really have 2 seperate issues that just happened to occur at the same time??

• 4 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hey Guys, my 2003 Suburban's power driver's seat worked when the wife took it to the store, but when I went out later the seat was dead. No power, and the heater was a zero as well... Passenger seat was still functioning fine... ...I disconnected the battery for 30 seconds, and after reconnecting, the seat works again. Give it a shot...can't hurt...hope this helps somebody.

• 1 year later...
On 11/13/2017 at 9:48 AM, Backlineguy said:

Hey Guys, my 2003 Suburban's power driver's seat worked when the wife took it to the store, but when I went out later the seat was dead. No power, and the heater was a zero as well... Passenger seat was still functioning fine... ...I disconnected the battery for 30 seconds, and after reconnecting, the seat works again. Give it a shot...can't hurt...hope this helps somebody.

Did this fix the problem, or did it persist down the road?

• 2 months later...