Raylar cam in my 8.1 ; )

So it started out as a pwr steering pump replacment, then we noticed the tensioner wasnt working very good so it got swapped, along with the a/c tensioner, so why not new belts,and an idler pulley, the fan clutch was making noise so thats new,decided to do the water pump because we were in it that far, and new dex cool, then he asked me if i wanted him to tackle the exhaust manifold leak...so we started doing that and he said we might have to loosen the motor mount for the manifold, and i remembered it was bad so that got replaced also, while under the truck the front main seal looked moist so i said go ahead and do it, well the covers off and theres the cam position sensor... with 111,000 miles i said lets replace it,, and there i was,... the front of the motor is off and were at the cam so i dug deep and called Rayler, talked to ray and we decided on the 202 cam which after dyno tuning will give me an honest 65-72 real HP... I cant wait! the truck was gonna run so much better just with the exhaust leak fixed. Ill let you guys know how it goes and post some pics..

I will definitly have dyno results, the cam with shipping was $497.

the way the cam is designed nothing else has to be changed... these guys at raylar have been dealing with the 8.1 in 99 before it even came out. GM used/paid raylar to help design and go over all the spec while making it, the guy ray i delt with is super knowlegable and was great to deal with.. If i did the whole package, Cam,Heads,long tubes, the truck would make around 520-530 HP at the crank. :drool: And those are real numbers!

The have a marine 8.1 that makes around a 1000 HP, and is designed to run at 5500 rpm for 20-30 mins straight.

one of the most recent ones they did was an 06 sierra that was 263 hp stock at the wheel. and with the 103 cam and stainlees works long tubes, and tuning it made 358...

The have a marine 8.1 that makes around a 1000 HP, and is designed to run at 5500 rpm for 20-30 mins straight.

one of the most recent ones they did was an 06 sierra that was 263 hp stock at the wheel. and with the 103 cam and stainlees works long tubes, and tuning it made 358...

8.1, 6.0, or 5.3?

Finally got the cam, and its going in tomorrow...Cant wait! oredered the autocal from blackbear, justin just has to tweak our in person tune to adjust for the cam. Let you guys know the outcome.. Im getting a dyno after the new tune is in place.

• 2 weeks later...

Why would the pin in the end of the raylar cam, be slightly larger than the oem one?

I had to open the slide or hole in the chain gear like a 64th" to get it together..

I have to ask the obvious question here. The 8.1 is detuned from the factory to protect the drive line from the 450 ft/lbs it produces before reaching 2000 rpm. Increasing flow at higher rpm will produce higher HP, but reduce the low end torque, which kinda defeats the beauty of the stock 8.1L used in trucks/SUV's to me. Gotta love that diesel like torque curve: http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/images/mediumduty/techspecs/engine.pdf .

Just curious...

@ music, This raylar commpany has the 8.1 figured out with there eyes closed.. and helped gm with it in 99 before it came out.

this 202 cam i got is customed ground to add 60-70 hp..not sure on the tq increase but its designed to build low end tq like the 8.1 was made to..

Thanks for the chart....

8.1/allison... I did a new chain, on the stock gears because they were like 3 weeks out, they look good though

Archived