High pitch sound when using the A/V port on the OGM-1

So I have been trying to use the A/V port of the OGM-1 with a WDTV. I have not jumped into the full install yet that Walt so helpfully discovered. I have a cable that runs the a/v from the device down to a single input. When I hook up the wdtv, i can get picture just fine. The sound is there also, but it is accompanied by a high pitch sound. It is not there when I use the ipod cable that comes with the head unit. I am trying to find out if the power for the wdtv is interfering with the sound. I have tried it plugged into a cigarette lighter as well as ran an extension cord from the garage to plug the unit into. Both ways produce the same high pitched whine. The louder I turn up the volume, the louder the whine gets. Can anybody help with this please?!?

Do you only hear it with the motor running. If so does it vary in pitch with engine RPM? I get that when I plug my Sirius receiver into the audio input (beside the USB port). It sounds like an RF from the alternator. I have since run my Sirius through the antenna input and it's gone now.

So I have been trying to use the A/V port of the OGM-1 with a WDTV. I have not jumped into the full install yet that Walt so helpfully discovered. I have a cable that runs the a/v from the device down to a single input. When I hook up the wdtv, i can get picture just fine. The sound is there also, but it is accompanied by a high pitch sound. It is not there when I use the ipod cable that comes with the head unit. I am trying to find out if the power for the wdtv is interfering with the sound. I have tried it plugged into a cigarette lighter as well as ran an extension cord from the garage to plug the unit into. Both ways produce the same high pitched whine. The louder I turn up the volume, the louder the whine gets. Can anybody help with this please?!?

Dustin,

Is it a new WDTV box? What you're describing may be the power supply in the box itself, or - slim possibiility - the quality of the cables and the way you have the cables routed. Do you have anything else you can hook to the inputs you've ran for the WDTV, like an iPod or something? In other words, swap the source and see if it affects the noise at all. if so, look at the WDTV box. if not, look at the cables and routing...

Hope this helps.

Archived