Wiring brake controller..01' Silverado 1500

Hey guys i need some help with this brake controller. The truck is an 01' Silverado 4x4 1500. It has a 7-pin connector( not from the factory) and all the trailer lights work. I bought a Techonsha Primus brake controller. I mounted it and found an OEM GM trailer brake pigtail (it came from a 03-04 2500, it was in the glovebox of my neighbors truck) and wired it into the wiring pigtail for the controller. I then plugged it into the fuse box under the dash. Then i went under the hood and found the red wire with the eyelet and the blue wire with the plug on it. I connected the red wire to the #2 post with the 30Amp fuse above it. I then checked the brake controller and it has power. What do i do with the blue wire under the fuse box, i know i have to cut the connector off but where do i run it then? Also i noticed that when i hit the button on the right side of the brake (manual button?) my headlights come on until i let go of the button. Any idea why that is happening? Also when i hit the brakes the controller display doesn't change from the two red dots. I need some help guys. Thanks!

The blue wire is the one that is supposed to go to your trailer brakes. The orange or red wire is your hot line for charging the trailer batteries. 1999 was the first year that they had a wiring harness for aftermarket TT brakes. I believe that during the first few years they made several changes in how they connected into the system. I suggest that you look at your owners manual - and perhaps get the correct wiring harness for your truck - either through GM or Tekonsha.

Archived