Parking brake will not disengage - how to disable warning chime?

I had my parking brake set, and when I tried to release it, it just went farther down...did not release. Pressed it again, and it still did not release. Finally, I mashed it to the floor, and now the pedal is stuck to the floor.

I got out, and tried to look/feel around, and there was a stiff wire hanging down. I pressed it, and it released the parking brake, so I'm able to drive the truck, but am damn near deaf from driving it home 40 miles with the chime going off.

Any help on how to fix it or at the very least disable the chime till I can deal with it after Christmas would be much appreciated.

FWIW, this is the first problem I've had with my truck in almost 90,000 miles. I also have had a chance to drive this thing in some heavy snow, and even with the sissy tires it came with stock, it is by FAR the best truck I've ever driven in the snow. Even better with my brand new Michelins. Love this truck and have never regretted buying it.

Does it get routinely set? If not it may have just gotten jammed up from none use. On the equipment I work on the brake cables tend to do this when not regularly used.

Every day unless I drive my car. Didn't feel weird like a stuck choke cable (yeah, I'm that old), but who knows. Maybe I just need to figure out how to lube it or get out of the habit of easing it up. Once in a while I have to help the pedal up the last little bit. Just drove it into town, and set/released it several times without my foot on it, and it works fine.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Archived