burning smell

Got the truck back today. Apparently it was the HPF gasket, not the pump itself. Also drained the 1/2 quart of oil that they over filled two weeks ago at my first oil change. Road tested and they said no more leaks, although now my cab smells like there's a gallon of gasoline in the vents. Hope it airs out quick because nothing like smelling gas in my 6 month old $40k plus truck.

Got the truck back today. Apparently it was the HPF gasket, not the pump itself. Also drained the 1/2 quart of oil that they over filled two weeks ago at my first oil change. Road tested and they said no more leaks, although now my cab smells like there's a gallon of gasoline in the vents. Hope it airs out quick because nothing like smelling gas in my 6 month old $40k plus truck.

Hopefully. Good luck that sucks. If it still stinks take it back and demand some goodies. It's worth a try.

• 1 year later...

I'll revive an old thread. I just picked up a brand new 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 HD diesel. It had 27 miles on it when I picked it up. I drove from Illinois where i purchased it to Indiana where I live. I would expect some mild smells from the "newness" burning off. I got home and parked it in my garage after driving 100 or more miles. No smell. Next day (yesterday) drove it around town and didn't notice anything. Got home, pulled into my garage and it smelled so bad I was afraid it might burst into flames and start the house on fire. I checked engine bay - nothing. I checked under truck - nothing. I checked oil level to just make sure - all good. I then went out again last night  - a 5 mile round trip, pulled into garage and my wife was now fearful that it might start the house on fire. It's 15°F here. Could that have something to do with it? The only other thing I could think of is could one of the disc brakes might be locked on the rotor? With the torque of the 6.6 Duramax, I might not notice. If that were the case though I think the truck would pull to one side. I can'  take it anywhere for a few days since today is NYE and tomorrow is New Years Day. Any ideas? I guess it's under warranty but I don't want to go through that hassle plus I just got finished installing the crossover toolbox & tonneau cover and I don't want to have to do that on a new truck if this one dies before it's first week.

Same here, just bought a new 2500 hd high country.  just under 300 miles and it hit me hard in the face.  I first thought it was the traffic.  When i got home the smell was there.  I popped the hood and it was there as well.  I can't find any leaks that i can see.  I hope this is not a big problem.  6.6 Duramax as well.   Guess this could be the start of a recall.  I hope it is not serious.  I really love this truck.

I bought a new 2017 denali 2500 diesel in August and have smelled the burning rubber 3 different times now, seems to occur mostly during slow traffic conditions.  I've got just over 10,000 miles on it so I would guess the "new" smells should have run their course already.  Also, just this morning the engine light came on so not really sure what that's about yet, I'll post an update when I find out.

• 1 year later...

I had the same problem tonight.  Coming from under the bed of the truck...2600 miles on a 2500 Duramax.  Only drove 10 miles.  It smelled like a clutch burning..Also i just drove it 15 hours across the country and had no smell...this was a 10 mile run in town. 

Edited by Carey Mc