burning smell

my 2014 Silverado Z71 puts out a smell intermittently that smells like something is burning. It comes and goes and when I took it in for service and the reprogram recall,the tech said they smelled nothing. as I left the dealership, not more then 5 miles and there was the smell again, it lasts for about 30 sec.then dissipates. so back to the dearler I went. they kept the truck two days and had two different techs drive it. both said they couldn't smell anything. so home I went again, and again, the smell, funny the 2014 dealer loaner ,identical to my new truck,had no smell. not sure what to do at this point. Help !!!

my 2014 Silverado Z71 puts out a smell intermittently that smells like something is burning. It comes and goes and when I took it in for service and the reprogram recall,the tech said they smelled nothing. as I left the dealership, not more then 5 miles and there was the smell again, it lasts for about 30 sec.then dissipates. so back to the dearler I went. they kept the truck two days and had two different techs drive it. both said they couldn't smell anything. so home I went again, and again, the smell, funny the 2014 dealer loaner ,identical to my new truck,had no smell. not sure what to do at this point. Help !!!

Hey baberuth1959,

I can understand your concern! I apologize the dealer wasn't able to diagnose this for you. If you would like us to follow up with them on your behalf please reach out via PM with your full name, contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealership.

Sincerely,

Jonathan A.

GM Customer Care

• 4 weeks later...

Hey White Stallion... Same problem you are having took delivery yesterday 25 miles on truck 5.3 liter and Strong Burning Oil smell noticed when I pulled in driveway, No Leaks found. We'll see how the smell dissipates over the next few months with driving while keeping an eye on the oil levels. Love the truck so far. Hope it clears...... its definitely an oil smell.... not stickers. I smell it at the track every weekend...hard to miss.

I only have 500 miles on mine, and I've smelled that "burning oil" smell twice now. I'm old enough to have adjusted rockers on a chevy 350 while it was running and oil pumping out of the heads...I know that burning oil smell well LOL. Anyways, I took mine back to the dealer...they checked everyting and there's no oil leaking anywhere. It seems the heater was set to draw in air from outside, and it draws very strongly from the engine compartment so any break-in smell at all will come into the cab...especially if you're driving and then stop...you'll smell it. Turn on the bypass so the air recirculates and you wont smell that smell again. Nothng to worry about. Keep checking your oil and you'll see the level isn't changing. Just a new engine, and a very strong air flow from the engine compartment. Hopefully this puts your mind at ease.

Hello everyone I posted last year when I bought my 2014 LTZ 1500 crewcab and had the same issue with a smell that was coming into the cab after driving and coming to a stop.

I was informed that it was a rust proofing that was applied in the factory, then was informed that after the dealer looked it turned out to be a sticker around the exhaust manifold. what ever it was the smell is gone after 900 miles, not sure about the issue with the trucks with the higher mileage. just make sure you get the dealer to acknowledge that you have a problem regardless if they smell it or not you what to get it in writing on your service ticket when you bring it in. The dealer said that they didn't smell anything when I brought mine in, however I still insisted that my complaint be in writing.

• 1 year later...

Mines been doing this since purchase. Have 19k on it and once in awhile I smell it. It's strongest in the gap between the cab and bed. It's a strange smell, like a mix of rubber and brakes. Guess whatever it is will fail at some point. Thank god I got the extended warranty.

• 2 months later...

Well I came across this thread because my truck has 5000 miles on it and was in for a rear differential assembly issue two days ago. I got it back and the next day I smells something like oil or burnt rubber in the fan coming out the vents. Mi thought it was a minivan in front of me so I blew it off. Today three times more once while sitting in a parking lot.

Tomorrow I will turn it in recirculate and run the fan off the cabin air, then the next day try the air conditioning. Then report back