Looking at installing new Pioneer HU in 03 Silverado

Considering purchasing a AVH - X5500BHS head unit and a back up camera from Crutchfield

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lO8OUvcTAU1/p_130X5500BH/Pioneer-AVH-X5500BHS.html

Just did some searching and reading and ran across a couple of threads with some not so good experience with their installations.

Here's where I'm at.

In my o3 Silverado, I currently have a non working factory single CD unit with Bose. I do not currently have factory XM but would like to have the capability with the new system. I do not have steering wheel controls nor the Driver Info Center (DIC). To me the Bose sounds great and would just as soon keep it unless the amp included in the Pioneer unit is much better and would work with all my Bose speakers. I am not interested in more amps or in upgrading the speakers or installing subs etc at this time. I plan to try and install the parking brake bypass available on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-PARKING-BRAKE-BYPASS-OVERRIDE-INTERFACE-GUARANTEED-TO-WORK-AVH-X5600BHS-/200986515782?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ecbbad946

I have no big problem with loosing my chimes but would like to retain them if possible.

Here is what Crutchfield has to say about the installation into my vehicle. Has anyone had experience good or bad with either? Which one do I need, is one better than the other.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Installation Details for your 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Pickup Crew Cab with Bose system; with 7 speakers

• To install this item, you'll have to modify your vehicle.
  • You'll need to cut out the metal rear support bracket to make room for your new receiver.

Please Note: Your vehicle is equipped with a factory sound system that requires a special adapter to install a new car stereo. We strongly recommend that you purchase one of these adapters.

† You'll save up to 50% when the adapter is purchased with any car stereo.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgot to include I don't have OnStar but looks like what you suggested would take care of letting me retain the "Standard" Bose system. Thanks Chris, looks like I have a little reading to do. Will be back with more ?? I am sure.

Considering a manufacturer refurbished unit. I have read that they are typically as good as a new one and could actually have been updated. This one is a $75 savings over a new one from Crutchfield.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-AVH-X5500BHS-Multimedia-DVD-Receiver-with-7-Touchscreen-Display-/370986221718?pt=US_Video_In_Dash_Units_w_o_GPS&hash=item5660808096

90 Day Warranty compared to Crutchfield 1 year. And does it offer the tech support that Crutchfield might offer.

Thoughts?

Thanks Chris but that would be going far above and beyond. If we can determine what is needed and not end up in the situation like the guy in that other post who ended up just going back to his stock unit out of frustration of every thing not working, I'll be glad to get on line and search for the best buys and deals.

Archived