blower stuck on 5 - 04 silverado 2500hd

Hey guys & gals

I have a 2004 Silverado 2500hd 4x4 crew cab 6.0

A few years ago the blower motor went out, I replaced it. Some time later I lost 3 of the 5 speeds. I was informed it wasn't the resistor and there was a recall for this problem. Sure enough, the dealer fixed it at no charge. I'm not completely sure what they did but there's gobs of electrical tape that looks like a 4 year olds handy work, but hey, it was fixed.

That was about a year ago. Now, the other morning I warmed up my truck and I had no heat. 0 of 5 speeds. As I was driving I was messing with the control and I smelled some slight burning. When I got to work I got down there and banged on the blower, kabam- it started up but only in high speed. (It's been single digits around here for awhile, not sure if that caused any problems).

Anyway, blower motor had a lifetime warranty so I picked up another one. That wasn't the problem. What should I try next? I thought I read somewhere that the resistor was part of the blower on this truck? Do I need to schedule another trip to the stealership?

Thanks.

Thank you txab. That explains everything, now I know the resistor IS separate from the blower and I see what the dealer replaced. Voltage tested good in all speeds at the connector so I will be picking up an AC Delco resistor.

Archived