Knocking when in gear

My 5.3, 99,589mi, 1500 is knocking/ tapping when in drive or reverse at idle. (Operating temp) the traction control and stabilitrack cut off but then come back on as I increase power and speed(rpm)... I think it's a cracked flywheel. Any other suggestions?

Could be that people are busy or are not employed by the site :dunno:

Sounds like it could be a flex plate, automatic version of a fly wheel or your torque converter. But if it only happens when in gear it is probably not the torque converter if I remember correctly.

In my 99 I had a similar issue but it was a lifter that would not keep prime. at an idle there was just not enough pressure, when warm, to keep it pumped up and it would cause a tapping noise. As soon as I would drive it would go away. Maybe try a slightly thicker oil like non synthetic 5-30, or 10-40 if you'd like.

Im no expert by any means but dont the earlier gmt900's have a problem with lifters if there is oil consumption?

I appreciate the feedback... Oil consumption is a very common issue in these models.

I made a appt to get it diagnosed at the local dealer next Tuesday. I hate throwing money their way but my wife pointed out that I'm still under 100,000 miles and it might be covered by warranty.

Oh and correction it is a flex plate(automatic). Can't wait to finish my Nova... Seems like the classics are way easier to troubleshoot without all these sensors and what have you... More to follow after the dealership visit

... Seems like the classics are way easier to troubleshoot without all these sensors and what have you...

Agreed! "In the good old days" I got many spot-on auto diagnostics from old-timer master mechanics who just listened to the vehicle, put their hands on it while it was running, or yes, even smelled the problem. It is VERY frustrating nowadays to always be told by the 20-somethings in the local GM service bays "we can't tell what the problem is if it's not throwing a code", and the GM dealer wanting $80 to scan a code and then they tell you "we got a code, but it could still be several things--we'll have to tear into it." My goal is to avoid unnecessarily "tearing into things" at the rate of $80+ an hour if at all possible!

Archived