Which way to lift a little?

OK guys, I know there are probably loads of threads out there on this topic, but I am gonna post it anyway.  I have a 2002 GMC Sierra z71, and I don't dig the front end droop.  My question is:  Which is more practical?

Add a Leaf?

Suspension - like 3" up front and 1.5 in the rear"

Leveling kit?

My query stems from reading a bit about add a leaf lifts.  #1 I want to level it out, but if I am going to do that, I might as well get her up another couple inches, wherein I ran into kits like a ProComp kit that is a suspension kit that brings up the front 3 inches and the back 1.5, which is about as high as I want to go.

Now, if anyone has any pics of a level kit and no lift, and 285's on their truck, I'd love to see them.  As well as those that have done something similar to a 3" up front and 1.5" in the rear, with 285's.  I don't want a monster rig, just level and up a little higher.

Thanks for the help guys, this board is great. :jester:

I went for the 4" Rancho on my Suburban. 2 days in the garage wondering "What have I done?!" as parts were spread all over the floor. The finished truck is awesome, but there are easier ways. My brother has your truck and spent about $100 or so at Hill off road for torsion bar keys. He brought it here and about 1 hour later he was leveled out. Of course we both needed alignments later. The nice part for him is that if either one of us need warranty work he can crank it down and no one will notice. I don't have that option. He is more likely to eat CV joints with his set up though. My 2 cents

You could always just crank the pi$$ out of the torsion bars in the front, and get a 1 1/2" block, and longer u-bolts to raise the back.

Cranking the torsion bars is free, and can give you over 2" in the front. You can actually use a lowering kit to lift the rear I believe. Just put it in.....well....Upside-down. And they are cheap compared to a lift kit.

I have been thinking of doing this with the 92.

Anyone? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd spend the few bucks for the new keys. If you just crank the bars with the stock keys  they will not be in the right place and won't perform as designed. The ones from Hill have the hex hole turned by a few degrees to keep things right. I'd crank the stockers just to make sure that it's the look that you want. Just remember that without a full lift kit you are really giving the front CV joints a workout. With my Rancho kit the axles lay as flat as stock.

Save yourself the $100-150 bucks that Hill 4WD charges you and go down to your Ford dealership.  All that hill 4wd sells is ford keys with the part numbers ground down.

You have a half ton truck I presume by your sig.  therefore you will need 2 of ford part# XL3Z5B328CA

check out this link for some ford dealers that sell on line.  List for the keys is $22.22 each but if you shop around you can find them for as little as $14.00 each.

You won't need longer or shocks or have CV joint issues( that is if you don't crank the crap out of them). Just installing the keys and adjusting the bars back to the stock location with gain 1.5"  which will level out your truck. It will ride like a truck not a car but will not be rough.

I've had this setup on my truck for over a year with no problems.  You will need a front end alignment for sure after.

I run 285/75/16 mud tires on 16x8 rims with 4.5" backspacing with zero rubbing and zero trimming needed.

It will make a huge difference either way you choose to go.  Hope this info helps and good luck!

Ken

That is a sweet looker.  What is confusing me is that from what I can tell, no one makes a simple kit to raise the front like 2 or 3, and the back 1.3, to offer a suspension lift, as well as level.  The shops around here tell me it's 4 or 6 inches, or nothing.

Where can I find these keys online?  I will do some searching, as well.  Thanks fellas this is a great big help.

Awesome, and $22 per part saves me over a hundred if that is all Hill is doing.  I will go order them today.  Thanks for the advice.  Although down the road I may have to buck up and spend the dough a suspension lift, this is what I need today, so I can get working on the tire upgrade to the 285's.

Archived