Chargers.....interesting results

I just played around with some chargers. Using the same phone and 28 AWG usb cable, here are some results I got. I am testing with my LG G2 and the ampere app. All tests were done with battery between 40-43%, chargers were all given rougky equal amount of time to charge.

. Looks like the max charge it takes is 1600 mah or 1.6 Amp.

Results surpised me. The average mAh were within 30 mAh of max on all but Samsung.

LG charger that came with phone

Rated: 1.8 Amp, 5v

Results: 1.6 Ah

Samsung charger that cane with Galaxy S4

Rated: 2.0 amp, 5v

Results: .35-1.6 Ah, only got the 1600 on one of 5 tries, other 4 around .30- .35.

Griffin Charger

Rated: 2.1 Amp, 5v

Results: Max of .350 Ah

MonoPrice 4 port charger

Rated: Max 2.1 Amp, 5v from a port

Results: Max of .340 Ah

Anker 5 port charger qith Power IQ

Rated: Max of 2.4 Amp, 5v from a port

Results: Max of 1.59 Ah

Aukey QuickCharge 2.0 Charger.

Rated: Max 2.0 Amp, varies 5-20 Volts.

Max: 1.6 Ah

(Phone has snapdragon 800, so not a QC 2.0 phone)

Tiny white RavPower Charger than came with a 7800 mah powerbank 4 years ago.

Rated: Max 1 amp, 5v

Results: Max .38 Ah

Moral: buy a factory charger or well known smart charger(Anker or Aukey)

I also tried some 24 AWG usb cables with the better chargers and saw no current difference, so 1600 or less the guage shouldnt matter if its at least 28.

We had a discussion about this some months ago at work. I built a version of this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Charger-Current-Voltage-Charging-Detector-battery-Tester-Volt-meter-Ammeter-/271813458328?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f49583998

This is much cheaper than mine, lol. But it gets the job done, if you are so inclined. Great for chargers, cables, etc. Co-worker found a "bad" charger with this. Also traced down a cold solder joint on a motherboard this pointed us to.

Ah. Geeks with toys :)

This will be interesting for me now. I put a meter in my OEM Samsung. Varying mA values. Completely bouncing around, but a solid 5V. But now my Note 4 charger is supposedly 9v at 1.67A.

Also remember that Ampere doesn't add in the amount used by the screen. So if your screen uses 200 mah and you plug it in and Amp says 1500, it's really 1700 from the charger. Also these newer "smart" chargers don't always detect the phone properly so they might not give it the highest power. Max I get from my anker with 2.1 to each port is about 1700 (with screen usage added in). Another factor is the battery level when you test this the lower the battery the more power it'll allow as you get higher up it starts to slow the charging down. At low battery levels my phone will charge at 3.5-4.0 amps when it hits 90% it goes down to about 1.0 amp if I remember right.

• 3 months later...

I was needing to do a follow up post.

It was the phone in some cases. LG did something strange to the G2 and it acts really odd with the majority of chargers.

My new G4 draws a lot more power from some of the others, like with the samsung charger it only charges about 15 min slower than on a QC charger from 0-100.

I'll have to redo the test with my G4 someday.

Archived