black bowties

Does anyone have any pics of black bowties (oem, painted, or plasti-dipped) on a silver ice metallic? Im considering it, as everything on my truck is either silver, black, or chrome. The gold just sticks out like a sore thumb. Thanks in advance!

I have a silver ice metallic and have the bow tie plastidipped I might have a picture in the gallery but I can get a better one in the morning for you if you would like

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I have a silver ice metallic and have the bow tie plastidipped I might have a picture in the gallery but I can get a better one in the morning for you if you would like

Please do! Thanks

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...

Tried paint and the decal with the heat gun.........OK but not fantastic....neither looks perfect with the dimpled surface on the '16's bowties. Bit the bullet and bought the Chevy OEM replacements which are specific to the '16.

Only way to install on a '16 is to pull the grille, which thanks to another poster, was simple from top under the hood, remove 14 plastic rivets from a shield and four screws on top of the grill and pull, releasing the snaps along the edge....emblem pops out from the rear. Tailgate was easy to remove with a hairdryer and plastic trim tool, but the remaining adhesive a pain to remove. GM suggests alcohol for removal but paint thinners, also useful for tar removal, works even better to dissolve the adhesive without cutting the clear coat. Of course never under any circumstances try lacquer thinner which will dissolve the paint and permanently damage the finish.

The new bowties have a molded black insert and look perfect and unlike paint/decals, can be scrubbed clean of bug goo and road splatter.

post-156616-0-27694200-1460572112_thumb.jpg

post-156616-0-15516500-1460572125_thumb.jpg

Tried paint and the decal with the heat gun.........OK but not fantastic....neither looks perfect with the dimpled surface on the '16's bowties. Bit the bullet and bought the Chevy OEM replacements which are specific to the '16.

Only way to install on a '16 is to pull the grille, which thanks to another poster, was simple from top under the hood, remove 14 plastic rivets from a shield and four screws on top of the grill and pull, releasing the snaps along the edge....emblem pops out from the rear. Tailgate was easy to remove with a hairdryer and plastic trim tool, but the remaining adhesive a pain to remove. GM suggests alcohol for removal but paint thinners, also useful for tar removal, works even better to dissolve the adhesive without cutting the clear coat. Of course never under any circumstances try lacquer thinner which will dissolve the paint and permanently damage the finish.

The new bowties have a molded black insert and look perfect and unlike paint/decals, can be scrubbed clean of bug goo and road splatter.

An easier way to remove the front emblem is to use a plastic wedge on the edges of the emblem. We do this all the time at our dealership. Just be careful how you insert the tool to avoid damage to the grille.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk

And that is exactly why I did it myself the more difficult way instead of taking it to a dealership, i.e by flexing to release the emblem's retention tabs from the rear instead of prying them out, breaking the tabs and likely damaging the grille's retention slots.

Twenty minutes of my time in removing the push-pins and 4 screws for grille removal instead of taking the quick easy way was a small price to pay to ensure not scratching the grille, scoring the chrome bowtie surround, gouging the slots that will hold the new emblem, or snapping the emblem pins on the old one. And the original bowtie and surround remains undamaged should I ever decide to switch back or sell on EBay..

Scrubbed some gooey bug remains out of the dimpled front bowtie today....glad I went the effort and bucks for the solid plastic bowtie instead of paint or decal.

Archived