285/75/r16 on 6.5 rim

Thats the same decision I had to make when I bought my tires.

I had the tire dealer mount one 265 and one 285 on my strock 6.5"  rims and then put  them on the truck. After I saw the 285 on the back and the front there was no question in  my mind what looked best. I boutgjht the 285'sHavent regreted it for a minute. The 285 does crown a little on the 6.5" rim but not much. it rides nice and goes great in the desert. I haven't felt any slippage opn the trail since I got the BFG's. Either way you can't go wrong in my opinion.

Good luck and let me know which ones you decide to buy.

Thanks for the input!  How many miles do you have

on the 285/75/16 X 6.5" setup?  What is your opinion on whether or not the tread will wear faster.  I am planning on going with the Bridgestone Dueller AT Revo because I like the look.  THe 285 has more tread than the 265.  And also can a dealer set the speedometer to match the 265's?  And if I go 285's what recabration setup should I purchase?

I've only run the 285's for 3000 miles they still look new. I have heard that the dealer can recalibrate for 265's but not 285's. A Hypertech or Predator programer will fix the speed odometer for the 285's. That will cost you over $300. I still have not recalibrated mine. At 66 miles on the speedodometer I'm really going 70. I have checked the speed woth my GPS. I really like the way the BFG's seal at the bead of the tire it sure looks like the extra rubber there will protect the rim and help keep dirt out. The BFG's have a great sidewall I dont know much about the Revo's maybe somebody else can fill you in on them.

My $0.02:

The Revos are probably the best ATs for people who do not subject their tires (or "tyres" as they call them on that silly island across the Atlantic) to serious off-road torture.  The tread pattern and advanced rubber compound give them exceptional grip on all survaces (I hear they even do reasonably well in mud) and long tread life.

I'm getting new 285/75/16s on my new 1500HD next week when it arrives.  I'm going with the GY Wrangler MT/Rs.  The reasons:

[1] The Wranger MT/Rs are indestrucable as shown in the contents of the following reviews:

ReviewA

ReviewA-2

ReviewB

ReviewC

ReviewD

[2] The Wranger MTRs and the BFG MTRs and ATs are the only road-friendly tires with 3-ply sidewalls.

[3] I have BFG ATs on another vehicle and think that they are awesome, but I won't again buy any products from French-owned companies (at least until the next time the French smell gunpowder and declare Paris an "open city").   :flag:

[4] Unlike the Wranglers, the Revos have 2-ply sidewalls and do not have much of a protective, traction-inducing tread structure on the sidewall.  [This, however, would be of little concern if you don't drive around on sharp, pokey rocks that can slice an ordinary sidewall.]

Some tire dealers will not mount 285's on the stock rims unless you sign a waiver.  I guess the waiver clears them of any possible liabillities, and it may void the tire warranty too...

Alot of people are running the 285's without any problems...

• 2 months later...

I want to chuck the stock tires on my Silverado 1500HD and go with the 285s but am not sure about the front clearance. It's obvious that there's tons of room in the rear but not the front.

Am I gonna have to raise the torsion bars in order to get the 285s in there and if so...how much? :sigh:

I've had two sets of 285's. My first set I purchased in 97. I had them four about 6 months when the truck was totaled.

My second set is on and identical truck. I purchased them in 98. I have over 60,000 miles on them. Just maintain them like any other tire you want to last and you'll be fine. BFG's are the best tires I've ever owned. French or not, I buy a product for its quality, not it's nationality.

Just got back from the tire store. They cranked the torsion bolts up 3 turns and that's all it took. Didn't need Ford keys or anything else. I now have the 285s, a level 1500HD, and the difference is awesome!!! :jester:

The ride is just a teeny bit stiffer but nothing you really notice unless you are trying to "feel" it. Man, I wish I had done this soooo much sooner. :fume:

Do you guys think I could fit 285s (like those described above) on my 2000 Yukon 2wd? I currently have the stock Firestone 265/70 R16s. Can I bump it up to 285s with a torsion bar crank (yes, the 2wd SUVs have torsion bar front suspension).

Please advise.

Also, does Michelin make a 285?

I've had two sets of 285's. My first set I purchased in 97. I had them four about 6 months when the truck was totaled.

My second set is on and identical truck. I purchased them in 98. I have over 60,000 miles on them. Just maintain them like any other tire you want to last and you'll be fine. BFG's are the best tires I've ever owned. French or not, I buy a product for its quality, not it's nationality.

Down with America... :jester:

Archived