1500 2wd -7"lift -35s- question on struts

Lifted my truck with a rough country 7" (strut spacer on top)

Truck rode a bit stiffer than stock- not bad, but only drove it like that for 10 miles if that

I picked up a set of used bfg ko2 tires off the internet and had them thrown on.

Truck looks amazing, BUT...... it rides like crap :(

My wife hates riding in the truck now.

I called a few places and got response from change the tires to change the lift to add bilstien 5100's

how can I get a better ride quality with out a new lift kit.

Will bilstien 5100's help out and bring me closer to stock ride.

Or are the used bfg ko2 325/60/20 making the ride rough (I am at 35psi cold)

Need help. Thanks guys -

No off-roading or anything like , I just like the look of a nice lifted truck

Nice looking truck!

So you have a few options. No need to change the lift kit, thats not what is causing the poor ride. First, you touched on it with the larger wheels and stiff offroad tires with small sidewalls. I see no need to change these out. Next, the shocks most likely are the stock ones up front under the RC spacer, with longer RC shocks out back. The stock shocks are pretty weak to begin with, so adding larger and heavier tries does not help them at all. You can replace the shock with any stock replacement such as the 5100 or ProComp shocks, and that may help a pretty decent amount. The other option is to install a full length coilover that will replace the lift kit spacer. These coilovers have a 2.5" shock diameter which is much larger than stock with more dampening capability. They also are adjustable in height/preload, so you can soften them up by backing down the lift amount. These shocks are much better and handling road imperfections and bumps, while also controlling the weigh of your wheel and tire setup. FOX, ICON and King all make a lift kit coilover shock

Bilsteins - $220 a pair. (If you can wait it out a month or so, bilstein is releasing a larger 6112 version which would be better suited to your needs)

Thank you for your reply. So I take it your saying go with bilstien 5100. Or wait for the beefier new ones.

I can hold off for 2 months. Also need to save a bit for the install . I figured 35s had more side wall , thus making it a better ride . Do you recommend a tire that will look nice and not weightl a ton . I don't off-road.

Nice looking truck!

So you have a few options. No need to change the lift kit, thats not what is causing the poor ride. First, you touched on it with the larger wheels and stiff offroad tires with small sidewalls. I see no need to change these out. Next, the shocks most likely are the stock ones up front under the RC spacer, with longer RC shocks out back. The stock shocks are pretty weak to begin with, so adding larger and heavier tries does not help them at all. You can replace the shock with any stock replacement such as the 5100 or ProComp shocks, and that may help a pretty decent amount. The other option is to install a full length coilover that will replace the lift kit spacer. These coilovers have a 2.5" shock diameter which is much larger than stock with more dampening capability. They also are adjustable in height/preload, so you can soften them up by backing down the lift amount. These shocks are much better and handling road imperfections and bumps, while also controlling the weigh of your wheel and tire setup. FOX, ICON and King all make a lift kit coilover shock

Bilsteins - $220 a pair. (If you can wait it out a month or so, bilstein is releasing a larger 6112 version which would be better suited to your needs)

Archived